Mitutoyo Dial Vernier Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitutoyo Dial Vernier Calipers

My Mitutoyo Dial Calipers (Model 505-637-50) have served me well over the years. However, a few days ago, it slipped a tooth and no longer reads zero when closed.

I looked at the Mitutoyo website for Dial Calipers and came up with new ones to buy but no information on repair of older models. I sent a request to the Mitutoyo website, asking for information on how to "reset" the teeth. I did not want to end up taking the whole caliper apart to discover that there was a simple way to reset the teeth with out disassambly. Needless to say, my e-mail was never answered.

Can anyone help me with the resetting of the caliper? Is there some "slick" easy method or do you have to completely disassemble the caliper to fix it?

Thanks.

Bill

P.S. I tried to change the title of this post to drop the word vernier but it wouldn't let me change the title!
    Last edited by BigBoy1; 05-15-2007, 04:59 PM.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Every dial caliper I recall seeing has a small screw that releases the dial to turn.. thus allowing you to line up the dial with the, uh, pointer...hand... thing... (I need a refresher on terminology, obviously... LOL!).

I'd be very suprised if zero-ing a Mitutoyo dial caliper involved any sort of disassembly.

Paul F.

Comment

BigBoy1,
      On most Mitutoyo dial calipers there’s a small slot on the back of the dial that you can stick a tool into to release the pinion from the rack. The calipers come with the tool to do this. The tool is a flat bar .039"x .057"x 1.438" with a bend in the end to hold on to. It is very simple to reset the dial, just insert the tool in the slot and move the caliper to the proper position and remove the tool. Make sure you clean the rack.
      Mark Hockett

Comment

If you remove the bezel clamp there is a slot on the back of the dial that you can slip a stiff piece of wire into that when pushed lets you disengage the dial gear from the rack.

Takes a little fiddling.

Mark beat me.
        Last edited by topct; 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM.
        Gene

Comment

Just tke a piece or brass shim stock .020 to .04 thick and the width of the rack (ie. 050) and lay it on the rack and run over it. The pinion is spring loaded and rides up on the brass. then move the dlide and pull put the strip.
          Sometimes you get, and sometimes you don't.
          I like to pull the strip fast to spin the pinion...
          When all else fails, remove the slide stop (2 small screws) and slide the head off, then on again till the rack is timed.
          You will not hurt the Dial Caliper doing this..
          Rich

Comment

Sometimes, especially if the caliper has been dropped, the rack shifts, and even if the pinion is slipped with the flat bar, a paperclip, or shim stock, the needle is still several divisions off from the vertical position.

When this happens, the screws that hold the rack can be loosened, and the rack moved enough to re-align the needle.
            Jim H.

Comment

Yup,the little hockey stick,used mine about four times on my old pair then finally fixed them with a new set of Mitutoyo digitals
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My 6" Mitutoyo calipers don't have the slot in the back.
                You just slip the flat key in against the rack to raise the pinion off of it, and it's trial and error from there. It takes a few attempts but you'll get it.
                I work in a CNC department where the work is fast and coolant soaked. They get adjusted regularly, and twice a year by the QC dept.
                Gotta justify their jobs somehow!

Rick
                Home Model Engine Machinist

Comment

Originally posted by rake60
                  My 6" Mitutoyo calipers don't have the slot in the back.
                  Most of the newer Mitutoyo calipers don't. It was a nice feature.

Comment

My 505-636 has slipped a couple of times. Whenever I use it I clean the faces, close the jaws, unclamp and zero the dial face, reclamp and get on with it. It seems to work alright. I have to tilt my head to 1oclock to read zero in the perpendicular though
                    Ken.

Comment

Calipers Fixed!! Thanks to All

My calipers are now back in working order, thanks to the help I received.

I looked and looked for something to use as a the shim. I finally tried a flat wooden toothpick and it worked super. It sure was a lot faster that taking the whole think apart and end up losing a small screw or something.

Thanks for the help.

Bill
                      Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Working...
                      X