I bragged it up now it let me down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bragged it up now it let me down!

Some time ago I was happy I got a deal on a HF belt sander. Got the 2 yr warranty even. Well today it went back as a POS! The first thing to go was the table clamp screw. It stopped clamping very early. Then the belt positioner made no change at all on the belt just kept hitting the one side. Last and final straw was each time you touched the metal with it running you got woke up. Must have been a bare wire but I had the warranty so back it went.

They exchanged it for a much larger/sturdier unit I hope will work a bit longer. It cost twice what the other cost.

All I paid was the difference.
    Life Is Grand

I've had the HF 4x32(?) for several years with no problems. Is that the one you had, the one you got, or unrelated? I put Norton belts on it and it does well enough, though it bogs way to easy. I very much prefer using the old 70s Porter Cable I picked up from a Gunsmith's Estate. 2x48 or something like that, something like $30 I think? Bearing went out on the motor and that cost me more than the grinder/sander (which came with 2 boxes of belts)...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

There are $30 HF belt sanders and $300 HF belt sanders. And HF usually has at least two slightly different versions of each, I assume from different vendors. Which one is this?

Comment

It was the 1x30 All I wanted it for was for breaking edges and deburring. It seemed it would be great for that. Well it was not.
        I now have the 4x48 which is way overkill but I hope it holds up. HF was very good about the exchange and went out of their way to make me happy. Can't complain about the service. Hope the tool holds up this time.
        Life Is Grand

Comment

I just checked, the one I have had for some time is 38123 (4x36). Other than being underpowered, it's been a pretty good grinder for what it cost back then. Seems like it was on sale (and maybe a 20% coupon?) and I seem to recall paying about $50 for it? But it's been quite a while...
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

The one I have now is 4x36 sorry I think I said 4x48 last post. its the 38123
            http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38123

I hope it holds up. It is much heavier and seems to be made better.
            We will see. They gave me the 2 yr warranty with this one too.
            Life Is Grand

Comment

I'll only offer 2 warnings. Keep it cleaned out inside since it will tend to accumulate crud that interferes with airflow leading to overheating. I've had to use a small shop vac attachment to clean out the vent holes a few times. It has a vacuum attachment for a 2" hose, and that should help if you use it regularly. Similarly, try not to stall it. When I've gotten in a hurry and kept it straining for some time, I can smell it getting hot. At times I've stalled it and it didn't restart, just hummed, and I had to give it a flick to get it restarted, after which I smelled hot motor. But I've run the crap out of it for years, cleaning up weld beads on heavy weldments, prepping steel for welding (or looks) by removing scale, cleaning rusty steel, all manner of abuse, and it's still plugging along today.
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I noticed the vents. I will use this with belt vertical mostly so it should not be a big problem. I thought I would have a need to keep it clear though. Mine came with a bag for the 2" connector so I will use it that way. I know I can hook up the sucker to it but I have enough wires and stuff all around I need to cut down on some of it.
                Life Is Grand

Comment

Working...
                X