chip control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chip control

My wife told me that if she steps on another metal chip in the night, I will need to start sleeping with one eye open.

What are you guys doing to keep the chips out of the house. ie: clothing, apron, boots, boot brush, ...etc..?

Mymechanic:
    First of all I see you are new to the board welcome to the rubber room aka the Zoo.

Very good question. this is somthing that we all have to deal with. Check out this thead to read some of the previous discusion. You are not alone in this one.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=23359

I do not have any real "chip control system" sounds like you are on the right track. If swmbo realy put her foot down I would probly consider the following:
    1) step up the house cleaning ie sweep the shop floor vacum the edges to keep chips to a minimum.
    2) install a metal mesh door mat between the shop and living area.
    3) install a boot brush next to door mat.
    4 ) a) wear short sleeve shirts with no pockets in the shop.
    b) If you need a pocket in your shirt get a garment with the pocket inside. Welders garments are like this also a lab coat with pockets inside could be an option.
    c) Wear a shop apron and wash it seperatly.
    5) do an eagle eyed check of all carpeting to find anything that slipped through before she does.
    The other day I was heading off to work and noticed something in my sock I took it off and found some aluminum swarf. I know the problem of wich you speak. my main shop is off the kitchen and the back entrance of the house goes through the shop. The other shop area is in the basement wich also houses the freezer. pantry and laundry area. So the rest of the family including the 4 cats use my shop area as well. How do you get cats to wipe there feet before coming out of the shop and into the house.
    Regards
    Tin
    Last edited by Tin Falcon; 05-19-2007, 04:08 PM.
    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Doesn't she have a pair of boots she can wear ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

At our previous home over the hump in the SillyCone Valley (in the Pimples Repugnant of Kalifornica) my shop was in the garage. A lab coat with the inside pockets, and a real stiff boot brush by the door from the garage to the house kept 99% of the chips out of the deep pile carpeting and kept me out of the pooch palace. Here in the desert of Southern Nevada my shop is 150 feet from the main house, with that entire 150 feet being 3/4 inch and smaller gravel. The same shop coat, a boot brush at the door of the shop and a second one at the back door into the house plus the long walk over the gravel and so far in the two years we have been here I have yet to bring a chip into the house, which probably accounts at least partially for my having survived the first two years of retirement!
        31 years of marriage, most of the first 29 were spent with long periods apart, that’s how I made it this long. Figured when I retired and we started being around each other 24x7 she’d kill me for sure with the first year. She’s smarter than I am though; she made sure the house we bought had a big (2500 square foot) shop on the property that was a good distance away from the house. I get banished to the shop after breakfast, called in for lunch and sent back afterwards, and then called in for dinner. Did I mention that she also insisted on filling the shop with brand new tools when we moved? She also insists that I go shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays and cowboy action a couple of times a week.
        Dunno what I did to deserve such punishment, but I would wish it on all ya’alls if I could!
        Steve
        NRA Life Member

Comment

shoes for wearing in the shop. Shoes for wearing in the house. Blow off clothing before leaving the shop. Sweep the shop floor before changing shoes and leaving shop.

The best way to find chips in the house it to walk barefoot around the house.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Mymechanic:
            Probly the only way to not have chips in the house is not have the shop in the house.

Now that we have you here why not tell us about yourself , you shop, and your interests in machining.

Tin
            Last edited by Tin Falcon; 05-19-2007, 06:54 PM.
            Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Falcon
              1) step up the house cleaning ie sweep the shop floor vacum the edges to keep chips to a minimum.
              2) install a metal mesh door mat between the shop and living area.
              3) install a boot brush next to door mat.
              4 ) a) wear short sleeve shirts with no pockets in the shop.
              b) If you need a pocket in your shirt get a garment with the pocket inside. Welders garments are like this also a lab coat with pockets inside could be an option.
              c) Wear a shop apron and wash it seperatly.
              5) do an eagle eyed check of all carpeting to find anything that slipped through before she does.
              There's a much easier solution to a wife complaining about stepping on sharp chips...

Cut off her feet!

HTRN
              EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

As stated take shoes off before going in the house, blow your clothes off in the shop. I also wear an apron which comes off in the shop too so that eliminates most of the chips on the clothes and the shoe change will get them there as well.
                Life Is Grand

Comment

Changing shoes (or smooth sole with grate) is the single biggest thing that will cut down on chips in the house.

But to cut down on cleanup mess, nothing beats building a shield/wall. My lathe has a not yet complete project to have an arch float above the tool to direct all chips exiting more-or-less radially into the pan. I've already got one that stops most of them by blocking the forward exit path (directly onto my arms usually), but I've got all the pieces for a much better shield. But for me, the lathe was by far the worst. Particularly fly cutting and hogging which would throw chips all over the shop. There I combined a spare piece of neoprene way guard (from a yard sale believe it or not) and a pair of VCR stamped tin lids to form a 3 sided wall. The neoprene goes across the back so that it can flex around the ram dovetails as needed, or even give extra clearance off the back of the table. The 2 VCR box tops are each shaped like a large "C" with a lip folded to the inside all around the outside. That lip made a perfect attachment point for a base to mount to the table and hold them vertical even against moderate tugs. With the neoprene attached as the back wall, I have a shield that restrains about 75-90% of the chips, assuming I am careful about direction of cut. Clean up is SOOO much easier now. I also added one of the jointed arm floating shields (Enco on sale for $12?) so that even on occasions where it is throwing forward, I can still stop most of them to keep them right around the mill and easily cleaned up.
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

All great great answers....errr well most great answers. A little about myself, I picked up a hf mini-lathe and was instantly hooked. I love to build, and there is nothing better than building things that you have to build special tools to make. I find it to be an endless loop.

I am in my thirties, I run a car shop out of my garage in my free time. I stay home and care for my 3 young children. My other half has a great job that affords me this luxury.

I have made several posts on another forum that tell more feel free to look them over.
                    http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1663

Darrin
                    Last edited by Mymechanic; 05-20-2007, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Ok I did some looking are the aprons that you can buy from Enco worth trying?

Comment

Haven't had any chips on the floor issues, but once in a while when ironing a shirt the Mrs. will find one or two chips in the pockets. She said she was going to make me wear a bib I have some old coveralls but they're so hole filled the chips would have no problem finding my shirt pocket. I guess I should buy some more often that every 30 years.

Comment

I wear a shop apron with pockets on the front. A magnet mounted to the wall makes a convenient hanger!

I also have one of those foot scrubber brushes on the floor outside the kitchen door. It seems to work pretty well.

I also bought one of those sweeper magnets on wheels from Tractor Service Supply. Most of my stock is magnetic so it works pretty well. The aluminum seems to be bigger shards/swarf and not the problem that steel is for tracking into the house.

And on John Stevensons thoughts, have you told your wife how sexy she looks in boots lately? That might just solve all your problems ! LOL

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Wot's wrong in wearing a pair of boots when you get up in the night ?

Some people............................................ ....

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

The one item that would help me the most is a urinal in the shop...

Comment

Working...
                              X