Weed Whipper Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed Whipper Hell

I have owned so many weed whippers. I hate them. Just last year bought a new still wacker. Expensive. It just never likes to start. Any tips guys? I use gas stabilizer and use fresh gasoline. Also fog spray the damn thing for winter storage.

Don't know what type you have but I purchased the Ryobi unit that had a bunch of attachments. I actually read the manual (don't laugh) and it there was a comment on how to start it.

Cold starting only
    Step #1 Push the primer ball 5 times
    Step #2 Set choke to A
    Step #3 Pull handle three times while holding down on the throttle
    Step #4 Pull one more time and motor will attempt to start
    Step #5 Set Choke to B
    Step #6 Pull rope one more time and motor will run
    Step #7 Run at full throttle for 10 seconds
    Step #8 Set Choke to C and use

I must admit that this as worked every time since I purchased it. I have had this for 8 years and use it twice a week during the cutting season. There is no way I would purchase another product without giving Ryobi another chance to see if the new one works the same way.

As for winter storage I have always run them out of gas and thats it.

Comment

I gave up on gas powered trimmers several years back. Went to an electric.
      Yeah, extension cords are a hassle, but at least the thing always works!

Of course I only have a 150X250' lot, but I think even if I had acres, I'd still use an electric trimmer, and just get a powered generator to run it. ...or maybe get a couple of goats.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

If you own a boat that might be your problem! I did and was using the oil mix for the boat. The instructions for the weed eater specifically specified NOT to use it! It plugged up the wire mesh in the spark arrestor muffler. I cut a small hole in the mesh so the muffler could breath and it worked great. We don't need spark arresters in the NE like they do out West.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Stihl 145, no more problems.

press the bubble, CHoke it, pull it, it starts turn off choke immediately, or it'll die, then it don't need the choke the rest of the day.

I think they are about $150 or so American. I messed mine up rolling around in the back of the truck so I need one. Damn lowrider corners at 1+g and cargo takes a beating.

Lynn... MMM goats.. don't get drunk bikers around them thou, when you get the clothes off them they look like deer, but no tenderloin.. Goatroast whoo hoo..
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKranz
            Cold starting only
            Step #1 Push the primer ball 5 times
            Step #2 Set choke to A
            Step #3 Pull handle three times while holding down on the throttle
            Step #4 Pull one more time and motor will attempt to start
            Step #5 Set Choke to B
            Step #6 Pull rope one more time and motor will run
            Step #7 Run at full throttle for 10 seconds
            Step #8 Set Choke to C and use
            Now that's truly "rolling in the floor" funny!!!

I can just picture a team of Japanese engineers standing around taking turns yanking on the pull cord, with one taking notes as they try various combinations in hopes of getting it started.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

We have Canadian thistle and nap weed around hear. It grows up out of the cracks in the sidewalks and curbs.

I believe it could be used to make a very strong rope. Commercial weed killer will only slow it down

A normal weed-eater will not touch it, and if you use a cutter head that uses the plastic blades, the concrete eats them up.

I now use a DR string trimmer. It's basically a verticle shaft lawnmower engine that spins a head that can take reinforced string thats about a quarter inch thick. It has two large diameter rear wheels and a tilting feature that lets you run the string in real close the the cracks.

The crazy thing will also take down small sapplings.

As far as the little 2 stroke weed-eaters, I have tried all the known tricks and so far what seems to work for me is to just store it with the cutter head up, engine hanging down.

In the spring I dump out what gas was left, mix a fresh batch, pull and clean the plug. I give it a squirt of carb spray in the plug hole and hope for the best.
              Gene

Comment

I can't speak to gas weed whippers, other than what lynnl said: use electric. However, my two well used '80s vintage Homelite Super-2 14" chainsaws can sit for years with the same gas in them and still start when needed. They apparently have that quality seldom seen in todays products: Thrives on neglect.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

My Shindaiwa always starts- its the only brand that pros around here will buy.
                  In fact, I bought it at the John Deere tractor dealer- they sell american tractors, but they dont mess around with american weedwackers- only japanese.

Comment

My (79$)Homelite starts within 3 pulls every year ...6 years old
                    No special treatment..just drain it in the fall, and use the red oil
                    for premix (1 to 50) that it came with..
                    Rich
                    Green Bay, WI

Comment

My el cheapo Homelite starts within 3 pulls also. I bought it back in 1990, I use Poulan 2 stroke oil with Sta-bil in it. I have never drained the fuel in all these years or fogged the motor. I used it several summers to weedeat my parents 2 acre yard and it has done my yard all these years without fail. The only thing I have replaced is the gas cap and the advance button on the string head.

Comment

shindaiwa

I sold the shindaiwa about 15 years ago.
                        They were at the time 3.5 time more $$ then the other weed wackers.
                        BUT
                        They aways started and last 10 times longer then all others.
                        Buy the quality unit and cry once, or the junk and cry each time you use it
                        please visit my webpage:
                        http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

My secret stay bil and synthetic oil.

I have picked up I don't know how many I have picked up on the curb brought them home drained gas, cleaned air filter and usually start with a few pulls then run wide open for 10 minutes, because folks don't know that they load up the muffler with grease and dirt and causes back pressure, that causes problems.

run it wide open 75% of the time and no problems.

Comment

I a friend of mine has a yard care business and he says if the plug is not fouled then the little muffler could be plugged up.

He picks them up used at yard sales cheap and has them running 5 minutes after he gets them home.

Comment

It's not unusual to have problems starting a two-cycle. As tattomike said, the muffler and plug are the two most common problem areas. It doesn't take very much to plug up the muffler with a sooty exhaust and dust from weedwacking. Likewise, the oily mixture can foul a cold plug pretty quick.

They have 4 cycle weed eaters now that are supposed to be much easier to start. I won a new 4 cycle model at skills usa - it is easier to start.

The weed-eaters that had 2 cycle engines did have a long series of steps to get them started. If you followed the steps theyd start every time, but you had to "prime 6 times, pull on full choke while holding throttle open. Set choke to half open and pull with full throttle. Run for 10 seconds, switch to no choke".

Comment

Working...
                              X