Auction part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction part II

About 2 weeks ago I posted for advice on my first machine shop auction that ended today.

This was an online auction and there wasn't much action until after the onsite inspection day: most people didn't want to place too much stock in photos I guess!

It was pretty surprising to see how much stuff was bid up past what I thought was good value. Most of the machine tools (mainly large presses) went, at my last check the day before auction ended, for probably pennies on the dollar compared to the new price: kinda sad. But other stuff, like an obviously well used vise, went for about 80% of what the equivalent one would cost on LittleMachineShop.com. Even accounting for quality differences I just couldn't see the value in that.

Aluminum stock was bid up pretty quickly out of my price range (but I got 2 nice pieces), steel less so. I kick myself for not bidding on the 60 lbs of tool steel for less than $20.

Anyway, I set myself a budget of $100, stayed below it and mostly got what I wanted and it was fun. Can't wait to go pick it up. There's another one just around the corner next month. I may have caught the fever :-)

Thanks for all the advice.

Originally posted by lwalker
    There's another one just around the corner next month. I may have caught the fever :-)
    Yup, your done for.

Good luck at the next one.
    rock-
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Working...
    X