Next ironwork project done: Steps and railing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next ironwork project done: Steps and railing

This was on the list of things to do but not near the top. This suddenly changed a couple of days ago when SWMBO casually mentioned that our good friend and next door neighbour had confided to her that she was scared of the steps on our back door deck because they are narrow and had no handrail.

Not being born completely without a brain and having the advantage of the extra clarity and insight the new meds provide I realised immediately that a reordering of priorities was wise. So, two days ago I started the step and rail project and today I finished it.

I rebuilt this small deck last year and it was a major chore for me, taking three days to complete. The previous old steps were suitable for burning but I didn't have the energy to build a nice new set so I stole a set that fit from the garage. They worked but weren't great, as attested by our neighbour. They look like this as I have temporarily attached them to the end of the deck while paint cures.

The new steps look like this:

Here is detail of the post tops.

The treads are 2x6 pine lumber painted and coated with special sand blast sand made from finely crushed glass. This should help prevent any slipping when it is icy.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Nice job..

I rode 100 miles this morning. Need a rear tire or I would have went for 200.

I'm proud of you friend, don't blow a gasket thou. Pace yourself. Relax, enjoy some life and living too.

I plan on taking the 11 year old daughter for her first ride on the harley in the morrow. She gets to wear the flamed helmet. The other one got gave away, I get to wear a 1/2 lid. We won't go far the first day I think. Rural roads away from congested traffic.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

David, I'm having a blast. I can't think of anything else I would rather do right now.

Comment

Nice job,I'll bet your having fun and wishing you had a need for a spiral staircase huh?
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The way my legs work now I would be scared of your old steps also.
          Nice job on the new steps.
          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Heh. I've always wanted to put an observation platform on the center of the roof.

Comment

Temporary front steps syndrome

Evan, you are an exception to the rule. I've noticed (around this neck of the woods anyway) that people will throw up some temporary steps in order to get the rest of the house up and then those steps will be there virtually forever. They get used to them and of course there is always something more pressing to do so there they sit, right on the front entry, an embarrassment to all who come to visit. Amazing

Comment

Very nice, something your neighbor will be proud to climb up and you will be proud to have her. JRouche
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Heh. I've always wanted to put an observation platform on the center of the roof.
                  That wouldn't include a fiberglass telescope dome would it?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Nah. I was thinking more along the line of large optically flat glass panels for purely unaided visual observation in the winter.

Comment

I bet there are not many lighthouses in central BC ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I bet there are not many lighthouses in central BC ?
                        Well, that depends on how you wish to define a lighthouse. There is the ultimate electronic lighthouse only a 20 minute drive from my place, a LORAN C transmitter station. 500,000 watts peak power with an antenna 500 feet tall. They had to put it here on the Fraser Plateau because it was the closest place they could find to the ocean (450 km distant) that was flat enough to provide a consistent signal. It also has some extremely high power xenon strobes on it so it also meets the requirement as a conventional lighthouse.
                        Last edited by Evan; 05-26-2007, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Finishing touch

I just added one more item to the railing, a solid teak grab rail on the metal top rail. This keeps hands warmer and stops them sticking to the metal rail in winter weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            The treads are 2x6 pine lumber painted and coated with special sand blast sand made from finely crushed glass. This should help prevent any slipping when it is icy.
                            It certainly looks nice.
                            But in my experience a roughened surface coated in ice offers little, if any, more traction than a smooth one. i.e. you need the sand on top of the ice, not underneath, to do any good.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

So, heat tapes embedded in the porch would be a good idea??

I can remember sinking them in a sidewalk.
                              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                              X