I am impressed with Wellsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am impressed with Wellsaw

Got in an old Wellsaw at work the otherday,we needed a bigger saw they needed to sell yada,yada,yada.

Got it for beans and spent the next few days worth of "spare time" cleaning and fixing it.Saw uses a vari-drive belt,powering a small reduction gearbox which drives the blade wheel via a internal ring and pinion.

The ring gear was chewed up and all the bearings shot when we got it,I made a few new shafts replaced all the bearings and found a new ring gear.

I rebuilt the blade guides,they are slick,5200 ball bearings to guide the band into the carbide guide blocks and they are adjustable both for sqaure and parallel via a wormgear arrangement milled into the blocks.

Long story short the saw looks like crap warmed over,dirty,nasty,rusty,but boy does it cut sweet.

Below are some pics of a 8x8" H-beam I made a test cut on.True test of paralell is to make a cut,flip the part 180 and make another and then check for accuracy.Turned out fairly well-

Less than .005" out over the 8" span.

I just need one more tool,just one!

To heck with the h beam. Let us see the saw. Wells is the best and most simple . I could not do with out mine .
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

No pics just yet,but I also forgot to mention the cut pictured took less than 2 minutes and that was maybe at half the feedrate it would stand.

You are right,they are simple as a wagon wheel with the exception of the guides.None of that fiddle-fumbling with six different wrenches like on all the rest.Just two bolts to be backed off and two worm screws to twist.It took only about 10 minutes to set the blade for square and paralell.

Comment

I dunno weird, looks a thou or 2 off to me.

I would also like to see some pictures of the saw.

Comment

Another Wellsaw fan...

Weirdscience;
          I'm a Wells bandsaw fan too. Had mine for about 25 yrs. & it was used when I got it. Doesn't see heavy use any more (maybe weekly) but still works well. Yes they are simple....a bonus.
          Reminds me, I should look at the gearbox oil & drive...it's been about 10 yrs.
          Rick

Comment

Here's the saw itself in all it's rusty glory

Here's the guides,they work slick,lots better than the plain ball bearings on a stick most saws have.

Comment

Hyd Mech 20

I think the Hyd Mech saws are the best. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Ahhh, the stomping grounds. Nice cut. Glad you got her going, in between everything else.

Hey you been washing dishes again Darin. Hands are real clean there Bud. Jim
                JimB

Comment

Originally posted by JimB
                  Ahhh, the stomping grounds. Nice cut. Glad you got her going, in between everything else.

Hey you been washing dishes again Darin. Hands are real clean there Bud. Jim
                  Washing dishes?In the dishwasher The clean hands are the result of disc brake cleaner,varsol and some hand cleaner.That combination cleans by removing skin one layer at a time

Comment

Good job on the saw. When I gave mine a "going over" the biggest wear points were the guides and drive also. Mine is the 7" capy. model. It's been giving good service for over 15yrs. Did you solve the chips in the ring gear problem?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by PolskiFran
                      Good job on the saw. When I gave mine a "going over" the biggest wear points were the guides and drive also. Mine is the 7" capy. model. It's been giving good service for over 15yrs. Did you solve the chips in the ring gear problem?

Frank
                      Don't think it will be as big a problem as I first thought after watching it cut.This saw has the rotating chip brush that flicks most if not all of the chips down into the catch pan.I think looking back that most of the problem with the drive on this one was the result of the gearbox output shaft havig spun in it's bearings.It was worn down to about 3/8" diameter on a 5/8" shaft.I figure that allowed it to jump teeth under load.

I plan to pop the drive wheel off it's spindle at each blade change and then clean and lube it.That should let me know what's going on.

The ring gear from Wellsaw wasn't too bad,$182,but the guide blocks I bought were a bit tough.$41 for on backup block and $60 for one side block.A full set would have cost $320all though the only reason these were bad was from mis-use by the previous owner.

Comment

Looks nice a lot better than mine looked when i got mine .Boy was it rough . Same saw but mine is nexk smaller size. But big enough for the stuff i build.
                        Post some picthures when you get it all cleaned up and painted.I like to see people get new toys.
                        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
                        X