No announcement yet.

OT: Nother big pig!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but one note, you should not compare it in any way to a horse, muscle weighs much more than fat, and the pig whould take up allot of outer surface area as compared to a horse, comparing it to another pig and doing the math
    The difference between muscle and fat isn't "much more" and the pig isn't made solely of fat. The density of fat is about .9 gram per cc while the density of muscle is 1.1 gram per cc. Surface area increases as the square of dimensions while volume increases as the cube. The formula as given for hogs is basically the same as for horses and uses the same measurements. All living animals are mainly water and so have a density very close to 1. It doesn't matter what size they are, shrew or elephant, that holds true and so does the ratio of body size to weight.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by dharnell
      Does anyone else feel upset that it took 9 shots to kill the boar?
      Dave
      The pig did................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
        Yeah ...see your reasoning behind the weight issue loud and clear Evan ..

don't believe the boy killed it.

but don't see the point of boasting of killing something that is so rare....by that i mean the size of it ......if it was true....could have made the boy thousands as a tourist attraction..alive.

all the best...mark
        It's not a wild boar, it's a feral hog, & calling it rare is laughable...back in the 80's, when the hog business went to hell, hogs were turned loose in the river bottoms & wasteland all over the south...as hogs do, they multiplied like flies, & now are a serious problem to agriculture. A herd will move in on a cornfield at night, & by morning it's bare...they are starting to hunt them from helicopters, shotgunning as many as they can, weird part is there's no disposal problem, by the next morning all the carcasses are eaten up by the survivors. There was a big thread about this on an ag site a while back...
        Ron in CO...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          The difference between muscle and fat isn't "much more" and the pig isn't made solely of fat. The density of fat is about .9 gram per cc while the density of muscle is 1.1 gram per cc. Surface area increases as the square of dimensions while volume increases as the cube. The formula as given for hogs is basically the same as for horses and uses the same measurements. All living animals are mainly water and so have a density very close to 1. It doesn't matter what size they are, shrew or elephant, that holds true and so does the ratio of body size to weight.

All i know is there is a difference Evan, and now that you had to get technical it sounds like its somewhere around 20 percent, thats a fair share

Forgive me for a simple observation from when I was three and noticed that the meat in my chicken soup was always at the bottom and the fat was floating on top...

Comment

You are close, it's 18 percent (I rounded). Of course, the pig isn't all fat so the difference between horse and pig is only a few percent at most. That doesn't account for a 300 to 400 percent discrepancy in the reported weight and what the weight should be.

now that you had to get technical
            Yeah, so sorry. Some people just hate it when you get technical. Unfortunately for them it's those technical points that are the difference between fact and fiction.
            Last edited by Evan; 05-26-2007, 11:46 AM.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

When i stated Somewhere around 20 pecent than "close" is all i needed to be,

but thank you for clearing up the mystery, from now on when i eat my chicken soup i will be thinking of 18 percent as the difference between the fat at the top and the meat at the bottom, not exacty 18 --- but close, and of course if I made my soup with "chitlins" i will have to take that into acount because heart muscles and gizzards are of an extra dense muscle group and will push things well over the 20 percent mark, and then after examining that and picking it apart I will come to the relization that in many ways My first assesment was actually correct because I do indeed like chitlins in my soup, shortly after realizing that im correct and you are the one thats in error I will also come to the conclusion that Im aproaching not having a life almost as bad as your existance, in which i will go for the top drawer of my dresser for my hand gun and remember that luckily (or unluckily) I gave it to my older brother to hold untill I "get better"...

Comment

Although I'd like to see this one first hand, I can't understand why y'all find it impossible that large hogs exist. The feral hog population has exploded in the US in the past 40 years and they are a major agricultural pest in much of the country. In South Texas, I have seen more than one wild hog that tipped 600 lbs on a scale (with guts and skin) - so going 400 lbs further to 1000 would not be too tough under the right conditions. Hogs eat constantly so will gain weight unless they have to move around a lot (or die). I have seen large groups of 50 or more destroy over 20 acres of farm produce every night.

I can see some bruisers in the forests of south Georgia, Alabama or Mississippi getting very large because the food and water supply would be almost unlimited all year long. I can also tell you from personal experience that a large hog will block your vision out of a typical car seat. They basically wind up being about the size of a small steer and only slightly shorter. I can't confirm or deny the article on the 'net but I can find find places all over Texas that have hogs in the 500-600 lb range so it would not surprise me to see larger ones develop in better food conditions.

They also have a hide "shield" over the front of the shoulders starting behind the head and going back over the ribs. The last hog I killed weighed 300 lbs and had a shield close to 1/2" thick. A 300gr, 45-70 bullet went in one side at about 125 yds and stopped under the skin on the far side. A .22 will kill them with a good shot to the head but that's not what I would carry in the woods.

Comment

I hunted one in Crandall Georgia that was walking through fences, gutted some dairy cows and ate what he wanted, a car hit him and turned over and the hog walked off.

I hunted him with a smith and wesson 8 shot shotgun with rifle sights and brennec slugs labeled "for police use only". Every other one 00 buckshot. In case I had to shoot fast.

I got lost there in the mountains, came out up in a management area on goverment land. I'd still be in jail if they had caught me. I had camo, my face painted, that shotgun and my 44 ruger.. I walked up on a guys porch where I knew the people there by thier car.. they would not answer the door till I stood the shotgun up next to thier car and laid the pistol on the roof.. Looking back, I really don't blame them. He came out then and carried me the 10 miles to my van.

It is very much a adrenalin pumping sport to hunt these creatures, they run at you popping them tusks as they come. Brush, vines, saw briars are usually too thick to run. Hence the need for a pistol.
                  David
                  Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

I went on a payote hunt in texas, i was driving at night in a very desolate area while under the influence of "pipeweed" I never been to texas before that and had no idea they had wild pigs, One crossed the road right in front of me and i had to slam on the brakes, it was lightening fast and i only seen it for a split second, I bet i drove at twenty miles and hour for the next five miles trying to figure out if id actually seen a pig or was insane, next morning I got fuel and asked the attendant if there where critters in texas that looked like pigs --- he said Yup --- pigs.

Comment

I don't really think it's a hoax. The numbers may be off some, but I doubt that they're off by multiples of 2 or more.

I once saw, at a Nth Ala State Fair sideshow, Robert Earl Hughes who was billed as the worlds largest man, at 1040 lbs. And though shorter, his girth appeared much larger than that hog photo.
                      He was sprawled over a large sofa, and overlapped it at both ends. A year or so later I saw a picture of a pair of overalls custom made for him, with two women, one standing in each leg of the overalls.
                      A google on 'Robert Earl Hughes' can verify.
                      e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Earl_Hughes
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

AK, I think them are javelina's and not the russian boars we got here. I think they are a tad faster running, but smaller by a large amount.

Them russian boars look like a hallucination when you first see them, in the shadows of the thicket, the black vertical brindle stripes blending in with the shrubs and brush, but they are not afraid of anything, including you. Nothing in the woods preys on them except man, and most them go the other way. I have heard tales of black bear running from them at high speed.

I have always wanted to take a spear and my katana to hunt them, never quite worked up enough nerve. With a pistol, your heart is thumping your whole chest, or at least mine is. WIth the adrenalin loads in your system you float across the ground, your hands shaking and convulsing uncontrollably. A fat man can climb a tree like tarzan, I have saw several do it.

Ain't nothing like shooting at one pack, then another few come at you when your gun is empty. Makes you squeeze instead of jerk them rounds off from then on.. I am afraid of a empty gun. AND the sound they make, it sounds like one of them forest rangers small bulldozer they cut a firebreak with breaking brush. Only other animal that makes noises like that is a black bear trying to flush small animals from thier hiding places. and they grunt like a hog too.
                        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

I'm pushing 50 and have lived my whole life in South Texas. I've hunted regularly since I was a child - alone since about 9 or 10. We had plenty of javelinas and very few feral hogs when I was younger. I have walked up to herds of javelinas and chunked rocks at them - they will bite if cornered or wounded but usually just want to run away. They can't see worth a damn so a lot of people mistake a charge for just wanting to get the hell out of Dodge and not being able to see you. I had two come straight at me once, when they were about ten feet away, I yelled and they split off to one side. However, they are very protective of the young ones so if you want to get bitten, go grab a little one. A REALLY big javelina is 100 lbs - most are 40-70.

Feral hogs are just that, descendants of domestic hogs that got loose and bred in the wild. Some parts of the country also have strains of Russian boar but they look different from ferals. Like David said, they are fearsome to see in the wild with nothing between you. The Europeans hunted them with spear from horseback - that would be something to see...

There is always a lot of road kill in Texas. In the time I've lived here, I have seen millions of dead deer, coons and such but never a single hog on the side of the road. That doesn't mean the pigs aren't there - they are just too smart to get hit. In general, they are nocturnal and easier to trap than hunt.

One thing I did wonder about this big hog is how the meat will turn out. Most really big feral hogs do not eat well because they are rank. It would be better to trap several hundred over time and castrate them - would make for fine eating and cut down on the numbers.

Comment

That hog is huge.

Comment

Not a hoax...

http://www.monsterpig.com/

Comment

Math formulas require some corrections

Hello Evan,
                                Evan when I was a young man I attended an agricultural and technical school. One of the field trips we took was to Byfield Massachusetts. That is where they had the stuffed Byfield Hog. It was of interest to people who were studying agriculture.
                                Regards
                                Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                X