What are "construction balls"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are "construction balls"?

I've come across the term "construction balls" for machining but don't know how they are used. I'm sure Thrud has a pair made out of Titanium. Clue me in, but I don't need to see'em.
    Thanks,
    Spence

Construction balls?

That's what the neighbors might see when assless older carpenters don't wear harness rigs on their tool belts.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 04-22-2003).]

Comment

I thought it might be a symptom of sitting on too many saw horses.
      Spence

Comment

I proved I didn't have any when I refused to let Bechtel move a 280 ton steam generator over my head to save them time on a schedule. ha ha..
        I am in trouble at the union hall too, I am a trouble maker.
        You have to add up all the threats realistic like and weigh that against your hairy gonads.

Construction balls, the germans have a lil square block and a file to make a perfect ball bearing in the old school machinist apprenticeship.. maybe that is it? The file is the original machinist tool. We all forget what can be done with one. We all think you must have a 10k milling machine.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 04-22-2003).]

Comment

What's the context? The only thing I can think of is a demolition ball swung from a crane to break down buildings.

Comment

I think you may be referring to what I call "Tooling Balls". These are precision spheres with an integral ground shaft. Some are equipped with a shoulder that is a specified distance from the center of the sphere.

They are used for locating points and as an aid in setting up odd shaped work.

Greg
            "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Ibewgypsie man you got hair on your gonads you better see a doctor that could be serious I once went out with a girl had hair on the palms of her hands she was a tad too refined for the likes of me oh well back to the baking Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Abn:
                I think your wrecking ball might better qualify as a deconstruction ball.

Wes
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I think maybe it's the party you have when the new house is finally finished.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Speaking of balls, does anyone know why flies don't have balls?
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Thanks 3Jaw,
                      That sounds right.
                      Spence

Comment

Spence,

They are designed to snap off the shank if struck.

No, I have not tooling balls out of Ti. Chrome steel, maybe.

Check these guys out to se what they look like:
                        http://www.toolingballs.com/
                        http://www.anwright.com/
                        http://www.allamericanproducts.com/

Comment

I think those are what allows the estimator to bid the job so high

Comment

I'll bite, Lynn. Why don't flies have balls?
                            No oneelse had the gonads to ask
                            Steve

Comment

Are tool makers buttons a similar item, and how are they used?

Comment

Working...
                              X