No announcement yet.

What are "construction balls"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still not clear on the operations that would require one or how it is used but at least I know what they look like. Thank's Thrud. Now why don't flies have balls?
    Spence

Comment

Sprocket:
      They can be used just like toolmakers putton, but the buttons are more "adjustable".

Spence.

They can be used to locate in 3 dimensions. You can buy them in screw in form - those are quite expensive because of the thread plug gage they weld the balls to. They are also used to locate stripper plates precisely to the die so they can be plunge cut with the die in an edm machine by the punch (ain't technology great - they used to have to do them the hard way - separately).

They are also useful as pawns on a chess board.

Flies don't have balls because they can't bat them around.

They do however, have the LONGEST Sperm in nature. Barnicles - dread of ships everywhere - have the largest penis compared to body weight of any other species. Just remember if your girlfriend tells you are "hung like a barnicle" - it is not a compliment...

Why were T-Rex so grummpy?
      Two reasons. 1) Your girlfriend would just as soon eat you for lunch than have sex. 2)Really short arms...

Comment

If that isn't a compliment, well I'd like to be insulted like that at least once!
        Spence
        The inference to barnacle would more likely be to my hanging on power! Kind of like a puppy on her leg.
        Spence

Comment

SJorgenson..Tooling balls are used when setting up compound angles mostly. That way you can figure back to center or where ever you need to figure to. When using a tooling ball there is usually a lot of trig involved also.

Kevin
          If it's not good enough for you, it's sure not good enough for anyone else.

Comment

The reason flies don't have balls is because they can't dance very well. ...that's the reason I was given. Probably also hard to rent a tuxedo that small.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The other day I was pulled over by a traffic cop.
              When he walked up to my truck I said,
              “I suppose if I buy some tickets to the Policemen’s Ball you won’t give me a ticketâ€‌
              He replied,
              “Son, you are thinking of Firemen, Policemen don’t have balls.â€‌

Comment

I have used tooling balls on locating fixtures to locate castings on a three point system to valance them out on "Datum" points, and even on edges, creating a "nesting system" on the bottom and two sides of a casting - rough surfaces and such. Three on bottom, two on a selected side, one on a third selected side or "datum". Used in machining fixtures, and inspection systems.

I have done many 3D surfacing jobs in my time where "datum points" are on a specific tangent point on an opposing surface, these are also used to locate datums on surfaces for CMMs and on machine indicator checking fixtures made for the part. I have made a couple or twenty of these set-ups in my time in tool rooms. The balls are screw in type. indicated to check height of the datum surface, and locked in.

These balls, if I hear correctly, can also be used in parallels - "moving balls parallels" to measure parts and such, and are also very good for checking the finished surface machined against a cast or slightly roughened surface.

A third use I have used is to use on cast holes in parts as a locator for an initial datum. The hole is rough, thus a pin may not do. However, a ball of oversize of about 30 to 50% tends to fit in the hole better to best secure against the hole, figures tangents of the rough against the ball.

This also works quite well with smooth holes, but the ball about 5 to 10" OS for machined holes such as drilling where there might be some "triangling" of the hole from the drill, or eggshaping.

A final application, and this is the cheaters method of passing stuff in inspection, or to help in swedging a hole is to take a ball bearing and put it in the top of a hole or thred that is OS, and smack it with a hammer a bit until the hole comes to size, or the thread gauge fits right go / no go.

Of course, I have never done the last one, but have seen it done and condoned.......

Just a few uses I have seen,
                CCBW, MAH

Comment

Thanks for that explanation. One of the fun things about machining is that there is always so much more to learn.
                  Spence

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 04-24-2003).]

Comment

Working...
                  X