Another electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another electrical question

I brought machines to China. Part of the electrical system is 240 3 phase 60Htz, The Chinese got transformers to change their electricity to something that would work on my machines. They way I understand american electricity with 3 phase is in simple terms that any 1 of the wires is 120 volts any 2 together is 240. I know about the wild leg. but in basic terms this is correct. Well the Chinese transformer each leg is 240 volts, but any 2 wires together is still only 240. It runs the machine fine. I don't see how this will work, but it does. Anyone know why?

What are the voltages to start with? It sounds like they used Buck/ Boost transformers in Buck mode.
    Bob

Comment

380 volts, 50Htz, How do end up with 240 when you start with 240 and be on different phases? It makes my head hurt!

Comment

I have been retired 17 years and it was about 25 - 30 years ago That I was doing extensive transformer hook ups. Long story, I have miss placed my notes and books.
        Have you measured each phase to each other and also to ground,neutral.
        A - B, B - C, A - C as stated 240 volts, but is each phase to ground also 240 volts. A B C. I suspect that they have grounded one phase. This would be to stop the risk of higher voltages being generated if something went wrong in your equipment. They probably have 380 -120 volt transformers. By using two or three this would give you the 240 volts, but with three phase power this on a star/Y hook up would give you about 139 volts from any phase to neutral.

If they used a delta hook up complete with stinger leg. You could then have 120 to ground from two of the phases and the other leg would be the stinger.

So again I believe that one phase is grounded. If it was C then C to ground would read 0 volts. Could be either star or delta out put, but would have one phase grounded.

If they used Buck/ Boost transformers they would have to remove 140 volts to get what you need. This would be very unlikely.

Bob

Comment

Thought I would bump this and see if you had checked the voltages.

Bob

Comment

Pretty much has to be one leg grounded, doesn't it?

I thought of that too, but it didn't quite match the "letter" of the description.

But I think "any" leg to ground has got to mean "either of the two non-grounded ones. Nothing else makes sense.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X