X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Korean Hinges

In several places in 2 cities I have seen doors with hinges
    set in what seems to me an odd way. On a 3 hinge door
    the middle hinge is almost 3/4 the way up near the top.
    I have never seen this in the US. The doors were well made
    of solid wood in small hotels. Why is it done this way?
    Regards, Charlie

Don't know aout Korean hinges, but do know that in 30 plus years of locksmith, building management. Most of the hige problems just from wear, weight and use is the top most hinge. I was told by one of the old time wood butchers that if the middle hinge was moved up towards the top like you describe there would be less door hinge problems. Because of the weight distribution. Most of the problems with the lower hinge were due to abuse/damage jammimg some thing to keep the door open.
    when you open a door with a knob or handle you have a slight tendenecy to push door when pushing the door open. The top screws in the hingesets are the ones that require constant attention in public buildings. IMHO
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I don't know the correct dimensins but I know there's an optical reason for putting the bottom hinge Further up from the bottom of the door than the top hinge is from the top of the door. Also the middle hinge is then placed slightly higher than the middle, usually at about the same height as the doorknob.
      When using reclaimed doors its also a good idea to place the hinges in a different place than they used to be.

Comment

3/4 of the way up is where someones shoulder would meet it ...if they were attempting to force entry.

all the best.mark

Comment

Im a mechanical Man so I will take a stab at this, The top hinge is being pulled apart from the door so is only as strong as the screws that are mounted in the wood ------------ not so with the bottom, its being compressed first by the hinge being directly pushed into the wood, therefore the screws are only up against a "pivoting" pressure, Point being --- open a door about four inches and then hang on it and tell me which hinge fails -- then I'll tell you why

This effect becomes very different yet mostly equal when the door is open 90 degree's, but still there is some very real advantages with this position plus the simple fact remains that doors have to go through the previous transition to get to the other.... the only real equalizer position is when the door is swung fully open (180 degree's)
          Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 05-28-2007, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Bottom hinge - distance from bottom

Originally posted by Charles Lessig
            In several places in 2 cities I have seen doors with hinges set in what seems to me an odd way. On a 3 hinge door the middle hinge is almost 3/4 the way up near the top.
            I have never seen this in the US. The doors were well made of solid wood in small hotels. Why is it done this way?
            Regards, Charlie
            Charlie,

I have read in books and have been told by several builders that the reason the bottom hinge is further off the floor is to allow for a hammer and punch to knock the pivot pin "up". The bottom of the hinge is set about 10" (250mm) to remove the pin. Helps greatly if the pin is "stiff" or "stuck".

Was also advised not to use removable hinges on out-ward swinging external doors - too easy for the burglars - but to use removable hinges everywhere else unless there were good reasons otherwise.

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by oldtiffie; 05-29-2007, 01:35 AM. Reason: Grammatical corrections

Comment

Originally posted by PTSideshow
              Don't know aout Korean hinges, but do know that in 30 plus years of locksmith, building management. Most of the hige problems just from wear, weight and use is the top most hinge. I was told by one of the old time wood butchers that if the middle hinge was moved up towards the top like you describe there would be less door hinge problems. Because of the weight distribution. Most of the problems with the lower hinge were due to abuse/damage jammimg some thing to keep the door open.
              when you open a door with a knob or handle you have a slight tendenecy to push door when pushing the door open. The top screws in the hingesets are the ones that require constant attention in public buildings. IMHO
              That makes sense now that you explain it. Somebody must have got the
              word out over there. It still looks kind of funny. Thanks, Charlie

Comment

Working...
              X