Power steering pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump question

I repaired a power steering pump. Just a bad bearing, but the pump still squeels like it is low on oil. Yes it is full of oil, and no it is not too full.

I was woundering if the rack+pinion might have air trapped in it? Do they usually come with air bleeders? If so how do you bleed them?

It is a 1992 Honda Prelude

Rob

Back in another life I used to do a good bit of mechanicing and what you describe sounds like air. I would always turn the wheels lock to lock -- sometimes took several tries-- and that would force the air out.
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Yup,the air will diffuse into the oil under pressure and come out once it is returned to the reservior.It might even take awhile to get it all out.If it is air watch it doesn't pop the fill cap off the pump when it comes out.

Some pumps just make noise too.I had a pump on a Dodge van that made noise from day one constantly,worked perfectly otherwise for 8 years until I sold it.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

A company in Atlanta Ga, they would make end caps by welding 10 foot diameter discs together,welding a fitting in the middle and pumping them up with water in a power steering pump driven by a electric motor.. (they let a hose dribble into the pump). over a couple of days, after fixing any leaks that sprung up... they'd have end caps for a storage tank. They'd roll the plate and weld it all up.

I respected the power of them lil pumps from then on. NEVER rub your hands down a pressure hose.. oil injected under the skin KILLS the flesh and it must be cored out. A needle hole in a hose can ruin your life.
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Power steering pump

Originally posted by Bill Pace
          Back in another life I used to do a good bit of mechanicing and what you describe sounds like air. I would always turn the wheels lock to lock -- sometimes took several tries-- and that would force the air out.
          Bill,
          you must have gone to the same college as the motor-mechanic who services my car did - good College!!.

He did exactly as you said on 2 occasions:
          - refilled reservoir after a leak; and
          - after fitting a "recon" power-steering rack and pinion assembly.

I asked about a squeal at the end of travel and he said to stop "ending" it and that there were "relief/unloading" valves at/for the "end of travel".

Comment

Working...
          X