In keeping with the off topic posts What is your favorite recipe ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is not what it sounded like to me.

Go cause trouble on you own board,or is it down again?

Comment

• dp
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by D. Thomas
      Not asking you to care what I think, but hoping for a discussion of why folks care about such things so I could understand and add to my "thinking" abilities. If all you can do is go instantly into a personal attack, STFU and let others talk.
      Since you asked...

I'm interested in food preparation methods that are healthful. I have a lot of bad habits to undo because of bad choices I've made. I'm interested in what waitresses think because they see on a regular basis how customers respond to meals she's placed on the table.

I'm interested in learning about cooking enhancements such as spices, salt alternatives, choices beyond meat and potatoes, and styles in cooking that don't include frying pans.

Open fire preparation is of interest including cobb ovens, Korean grills, spit and rack, smoke curing, etc, and the foods prepared on them. Ethnic and regional influences from the Pacific islands, Tlingit tribal meals, world wide aboriginal foods, and low-meat diets are also interesting.

Comment

While we are on the subject.

Who has a good recipe for Hot and Sour soup?

Comment

• Joel
          • Jun 2001

1. Boil water
          2. Dip your finger in it

Comment

• Milacron of PM
            • Apr 2001

dp, I hear ya on the waitress thing, but on all else, there are a gazillon cook books out there with all you want to know that go way beyond in choices and credibility, any chit chat on the subject from a bunch of machinists who may or may not know what the heck they are doing in the kitchen or on the grill !

Comment

• dp
              • Mar 2005

dp, I hear ya on the waitress thing, but on all else, there are a gazillon cook books out there with all you want to know that go way beyond in choices and credibility, any chit chat on the subject from a bunch of machinists who may or may not know what the heck they are doing in the kitchen or on the grill !
              You just described life in general . They may not know squat about machining, either, and there's certainly a gazillion books on machining metal, so you use a bit of common sense regarding what you learn, and otherwise enjoy the conversation for what it is - a friendly exchange about a common interest. It's ok to not come out ahead in all things.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
                1. Boil water
                2. Dip your finger in it
                Are you related to A.K.?

Comment

• Mcgyver
                  • Mar 2005

Reminds me of when in a restaurant and someone asks the waitress "what's good ?"....which seems slightly odd as what's good to her may be awful to someone else, so why care what the waitress thinks ?
                  asking the question implies you might not believe the answer. its not so much about the food, its about building a bit of rapport. If you are pleasant with those around you, life's just easier. Most people would rather talk than listen and find it flattering to have their opinion sought - everyone has an ego and likes a little stroking and it cost nothing to give it. anyone who's ever sold anything knows chatting up the other person, being interested in what they say etc are the ways you build a some rapport in a few seconds. It carries with it of course the fringe benefit of better service etc. Do an experiment; one time look her in the eyes and say get me my food you cow, and the next time say good afternoon Betsy, whats good today and compare the results
                  located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• Milacron of PM
                    • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                    . It carries with it of course the fringe benefit of better service etc. Do an experiment; one time look her in the eyes and say get me my food you cow, and the next time say good afternoon Betsy, whats good today and compare the results
                    I actually worked as both a cook and waiter in Italian restaurants for years in my younger days, plus my wife used to be a waitress, so am quite sympathetic and friendly to wait staff...probably more so than the average person..maybe more so than you.

As such, I wouldn't in a million years perform your experiment.

But I still couldn't care less what he or she thinks is "good". But I do see the point if you ask in the light of what is popular with the other patrons.

Comment

• Milacron of PM
                      • Apr 2001

Originally posted by dp
                      You just described life in general . They may not know squat about machining, either, and there's certainly a gazillion books on machining metal, so you use a bit of common sense regarding what you learn, and otherwise enjoy the conversation for what it is - a friendly exchange about a common interest. It's ok to not come out ahead in all things.
                      I did not just describe life in general. There actually are a thousand times more cook books than there are on machining metal, plus the concepts of discussing your favorite recipe is very different from the concept of discussing machining "recipes" One is very personal and subjective, the other is more universal and precise.

Comment

• dp
                        • Mar 2005

I did not just describe life in general. There actually are a thousand times more cook books than there are on machining metal, plus the concepts of discussing your favorite recipe is very different from the concept of discussing machining "recipes" One is very personal and subjective, the other is more universal and precise.
                        Yes you damn sure did. As a researcher I know this to be true. But there's no compelling reason for us to agree on it and that is just fine, too.

I think the point is there are many more books available on both subjects than are needed. It matters not if there are 1000 times more than needed, or just 500 times more than needed. As for being personal or subjective, I'd say you're missing a lot if you don't find the extremely helpful information from Mr.'s Ford, Klotz, Stevenson and others to be very personal, hugely personable, and precise. I'm going to be subjective by adding, enjoyable. Even when writing about favorite foods.

I'll tell you and anyone still listening this: What Mr. Stevenson writes I read, and I may find there machining gems or I may find ribald humor or sage advice, but I read it and learn - you can't pay for that kind of education. What these gentlemen impart to the rest of us is pretty damn good stuff. If they wish to share recipes of favorite meals I'm going to listen just out of respect. I haven't been there and done it all and don't have all the books, either, so first hand experience from respected sources is not a bad thing.

And no, there's no guarantee I'll enjoy blood sausage or kidney pie, but I'd be interested in how it's prepared

Comment

Kidney Pie

dp
                          It's late about 12:30 now wifes asleep,later when she's up I'll get her to give you a recipe for kidney pie,I have never tried it myself,I think its kind of like liver.

Comment

• dp
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by J.Ramsey
                            dp
                            It's late about 12:30 now wifes asleep,later when she's up I'll get her to give you a recipe for kidney pie,I have never tried it myself,I think its kind of like liver.
                            I know that it definitely tastes like liver. I had some in England about 25 years ago on the way home from France. I don't care for liver and I sure didn't like the kidney pie. The chef assured me he'd cooked the piss out of it.

Comment

Cooked the P..s out of it

That's why I said I've never tried it, to me its kind of like eating Chinese which I will not eat because it taste like your kids dirty gym clothes smell.
                              P.S. Thank's for the quick response I'd rather eat dirty gym clothes than try to wake the Growler

Comment

You haven't eaten the right Chinese food, if you like mildly spicy try General tsao chicken.

As for fried chicken it smells like wet dog to me, But when I get past the smell I eat a lot of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X