Atlas 12X36 belt clutch disengagement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas 12X36 belt clutch disengagement

First I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my last challenge it turned out to be a loose wire in the motor.

Once again I need help with my Atlas 12x36 lathe. To engage and disengage the headstock they use a intermediate pulley system on a cam. When I pull the engagement lever it tightens the motor belt and the headstock belt. When I release the lever the belts go slack. My issue is that the head stock continues to spin when the belts are loose. The belts seem to be at their maximum slack. Can oil or grease contamination cause the belts to bite to the pulleys? Would a new belt and clean pulleys slip more?

The disengagement isn't really supposed to be a clutch...... it's just a release for belt changing, manual turning of spindle etc. I would NOT rely on it as a clutch.

Even the Atlas shaper, where there IS a belt-clutch system, actually has a brake to prevent the creeping you refer to. But the lathes do not

If there was an actual clutch it would be just a tad more fancy than that.......

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Ditto what JT said. On mine, it's so I can change speeds by moving the belt to another pulley. (With the motor off.) To lock the headstock, I engage the back gear. Again, with the motor off!

Comment

I have two of the Atlas lathes, they both do the same, the chuck spinning with the belts slack. Have tried regular v-belts and the segmented belts from Fenner Drives (highly recommended) still the same. Bought the lathe from the father in law, he said it has since it was brand new.
        jack

Comment

The slack belt will puff up when released and continue to drive the spindle, although it is slipping. With some drives, it is possible to placea deflector in the belt guard to prevent this from happening.

A strategically placed broomstick will sometimes do the trick. It takes a little experimenting, but is sometimes successful. It should not be counted on when life, limb and fingers are at stake however.
          Jim H.

Comment

Working...
          X