what is causing this???computer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is causing this???computer question

Sometimes when I am typing on my computer I go to erase a letter and then when I rewrite the letters in front dissapear as I am writing what causes this please ?Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

yup ...that happens on mine now and again in any forum

no idea what causes it ..and it drives me mad

the only way you can get out of it is to abbandon message and come back and make a new one .

all the best.mark

Comment

Try hitting the "Ins" key on the keyboard. It is usually somewhere near the delete key. It switches between Insert and Overwrite modes.

SherpaDoug

Comment

Insert Key

It's the INSERT key. One mode sticks the letters in between the existing letters (the way you want it to), and the other mode overwrites the existing letters (making you displeased).

I've popped the INSERT key off of every one of my keyboards for the last 10 years. I've never needed or wanted to overwrite any existing text that wasn't just as easy to highlight with the mouse/cursor.
        Mike P
        1919 13" South Bend Lathe
        1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Comment

Thanks guys ...yes I see
          accidentally catching it at one time or other does that ..
          another problem solved .

what about IESPELL PROBLEM

when doing spell check ...and coming back to edit your work ...press back space ...,and it acts like a back button and takes you off the page and you loose every f**cking thing.

unless you copy everything before you do the spell check ..in some forums you're goosed.

all the best.mark

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
            Thanks guys ...yes I see
            accidentally catching it at one time or other does that ..
            another problem solved .

what about IESPELL PROBLEM

when doing spell check ...and coming back to edit your work ...press back space ...,and it acts like a back button and takes you off the page and you loose every f**cking thing.

unless you copy everything before you do the spell check ..in some forums you're goosed.

all the best.mark
            In IE, backspace is the shortcut for back one page. If you make sure that you have clicked your mouse inside the text entry box, before clicking back space, it shouldn't do that.

A better solution would be to download Mozilla Firefox, it is free, faster and better working than IE. Check it out, you wont be disappointed in it.

Later,
            Jason

Comment

Well what's up with Microsoft .....why did they do a stupid thing like that ...
              backspace does not do that when i don't use the IESPELL ...
              would have thought it was IESPELL fault ...
              written to IESPELL twice about this on the feedback on the site ...

no replies or confirmation ..nothing ...
              other people have said the have had this problem as well

they have a yahoo group for IESPELL .......looked through its archives ...no mention of it .

don't like to bring it up there as it may annoy them ...
              after all it is a free prog ........you can pay as donation ...and i haven't ...so......
              unmmm don't like to complain .

yes i know about the pressing in the text box ...but you don't always remember to do this ...
              I had firefox on the comp ...found it a bit boring so dumped it .

you see there is a period of five seconds after the spell check ...you put your cursor on the place to edit ...and it disappears unless you put it there again. ...this is were you get caught out

All the best.mark
              Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-30-2007, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I am guessing here, because I do not use IE, but my assumtion would be that when the spell check is complete, the text box is no longer the "foreground", but the web page itself. The back space key does indeed work as a shortcut for back one page anywhere in IE, as long as you are not in a text box. It seems silly, but if you use a laptop much, it is useful. The main reason I switched to firefox is because of a extension called "mile wide back" It turns the whole left border of your window into a back button. I found it is easier to use on a laptop, than even the i.e. backspace shortcut.

*edit* I just tried the backspace key in Firefox, web page in foreground, not a text box, and it works as the same shortcut as IE. The difference is the FF spellcheck operates entirely in the text box, you just right click on the red underlined words and select the correct spelling from the list.

Later,
                Jason
                Last edited by jacampb2; 05-30-2007, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X