Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to board

Greetings all,

time to introduce myself. After lurking around for some time I decided to register, as it started to be a habit hard to break following this board daily and trying to absorb all the information and practical wisdom on machining available here. Even if I spent some 35 plus years in desk jobs at a major engineering company I'm still a complete newbie when it comes to hands-on machining. Now I'm trying to make up the time away from the workshop and learn/relearn manual machining. I'm starting small, with a 7X12 lathe and a mini-mill size mill/drill, certainly not CNC. No bandsaw or even bench grinder are available yet but might have to be, sooner or later.

I'm really excited in being a member of this group of machinists.

G'day Truman, welcome to the incurable metal ward

First item is a bench grinder. How else you gonna grind lathe tools?
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Welcome aboard!

You say you're "starting small." I hope you realize it's just a matter of time before you buy an F-350 pickup to haul home a Bridgeport.....
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Welcome, Abandon all hope,yee who enter here.

I didn't say it first,but it fits sometimes.

Comment

Welcome to metal and shop illness, the inmates do run the asylum
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Welcome to the group. It's a great bunch of guys and even a gal or two. I joined about 6-8 years ago and have learned a lot. Still learning. And don't be bashful: jump in when you have something to say or ask.

As for equipment, I would strongly recommend a metal band saw. I got one to the 4X6 models and it is the best money I have spent in the shop. It is probably the power tool I use the most. It's a lot easier to saw it off than to turn it off or mill it off.

Make chips.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

I'll agree with the suggestion to consider a band saw of some sort. I don't know how I got by without one. The hacksaw just wasn't cutting it (pardon the pun), any more!

Kevin

Comment

Speaking of grinders, I agree with Paul, to an extent.
                I do a lot of parting off with a 9" angle-grinder

Comment

Thank you!

Gents,

thank you all for the nice welcome. Tools and machines both seem to be creatures that have a tendency to multiply and that rather rapidly too, so probably the next additions won't be too far away. Already there's the need to grind my own lathe tools, and the hacksaw needs to be put secondary duty some day. A Bridgeport then......used Bridgeports are few and far between at this neck of the woods (and expensive!) so that'll take a little longer. We'll see........

Comment

Whoah!
                    Truman, just noticed your location.
                    You have earned my undying respect, if you can speak, or even understand the language and drink that vodka, to say nothing of the cold.

Comment

Hey Swarf&Sparks,

now you're making me embarrassed . Besides, it's not so cold anymore. Summer's begun and we've been having temperatures above 25 degrees Celsius .

Comment

Damn! You'll hafta keep the vodka in the freezer

Comment

A hearty welcome my finish friend good luck with your new found hobby and stay with us we are the greatest, most wonderful ,fabulous ,suave ,sophisticated ,debonaire, bunch of hoodlums this side of the paco's Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                            A hearty welcome my finish friend good luck with your new found hobby and stay with us we are the greatest, most wonderful ,fabulous ,suave ,sophisticated ,debonaire, bunch of hoodlums this side of the paco's Alistair
                            Ok, what's a "paco's"?
                            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I think thats a scottish 'pecos',
                              perhaps it's a greener shade!

Peter
                              I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Working...
                              X