Toolpost size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolpost size?

I'm helping a pal outfit his Clausing 15" lathe. It's a swell machine, but currently has an Armstrong piston type QC toolpost with only 3 holders. It's the BXA size, and I'm suggesting that rather than getting a flock of new holders he might want to consider the CXA wedge type post and new holders. Since the Phase II sets are on sale at ENCO right now for $259 with five holders, I think that might be a good value.

Any suggestions?
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

What is wrong with the BXA tooling? If it is adequately sized for the lathe, it would be more economical to stay with that. The piston toolpost is as good as the wedge for most HSM applications, and the BXA tooling is less expensive and easier to find.
    Jim H.

Comment

Frank: This IMHO is a matter of preference. I agree with JC that the BXA/200 size should work fine. A larger toll post will alow for larger tooling and be a little stiffer and may reduce chatter. You realy have a choice here acording to the Phase II site 200, 300. or 400 series will work on that lathe. The 300 /CXA would probly be considered the the middle of the road choice. The 200 being on the small side for that lathe and the 400 bigger than needed. Consider the size of the lathe and Horse power. I am thinking that machine is about 5HP and heavily built if so the 300 would probly be a better choice. Regards
      Tin
      PS here is the chart from the Phase II web site.

QUICK CHANGE LATHE TOOLPOST SETS
      EACH SET CONSISTS OF ONE TOOLPOST AND 5 HOLDERS, ONE OF EACH STYLE, #1, 2, 4, 7 AND 10.

PISTON TOOLPOST SETS
      STOCK # SWING
      251-100 9-12"
      251-200 10-15"
      251-300 13-18"
      251-400 14-20"

WEDGE TOOLPOST SETS
      STOCK # SWING
      251-111 9-12"
      251-222 10-15"
      251-333 13-18"
      251-444 14-20"
      251-555 17-32"
      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

We had a Clausing 1500(15") at work with a BXA toolpost. It seemed like the perfect size for the lathe, and I believe it is the size Aloris recommends for a 15". I don't thinks the extra rigidity of a CXA will be noticed, but it's larger size may be a problem when working with small parts supported by the tailstock.

Regarding wedge vs piston, I strongly favor the wedge design because they take less force to operate. However, I have seen a wedge toolpost completely filled with fine brass chips. Piston may be preferable if you use lots of brass, CI, or any other small chip/dust producing materials.

Ed

Comment

............I have a 11x36 Logan/Powermatic with the BXA size:

Seems to be about the right size for me, and in a very few cases just a bit large. Maybe if there were a 150 or 175 size it might be perfect. Seems like a AXA (100) would be too small and a CXA (300) is obviously too big for my 11". The BXA (200) certainly would be good for a 15" lathe?

Rick
          Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

AMDG - I rember it well

[QUOTE=Tin Falcon]Frank: This IMHO is a matter of preference. I agree with JC that the BXA/200 size should work fine. A larger toll post will alow for larger tooling and be a little stiffer and may reduce chatter. You realy have a choice here acording to the Phase II site 200, 300. or 400 series will work on that lathe.
            [QUOTE]

I thought the Latin quote rang a bell - from almost 60 years ago.

If anyone uses one I try to check it out - just for interest.

I googled it for a quote and got (among a lot of similar others):
            Ad maiorem dei gloriam (AMDG) - For the greater glory of God ... Ad vitam aeternam - For all time Ad vitam paramus - We are preparing for life ...

I had to write "AMDG" on top of every page at school - or look out!!

I had every reason to know which "order" used it as its motto.

But an interesting quote never the less.

Comment

Working...
            X