Extended X3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended X3

As part of my ongoing X3 conversions, the one that's on the bench at the moment is an early X3 to the UK with the shorter column, I think they are still sold in the US.

These machines originally come from Sieg in China or one of it satellite factories and the importer buys either to price or spec. Occasionally an importer may be able to wangle a unique deal for a while until everyone else jumps on the bandwagon and gets it. For the last two years our importer has been getting the tall column X3 and the long table X1.

When converted to ball screws all the jack shaft and bevel gears are thrown away so length of screw and mesh don't come into play. When the head is right down you still have plenty of screw left so this one has had a spacer block fitted to bring it into line with the longer column models.

Shows the 4" block with it's first coat of paint.

Rear view showing the 1-1/4" wide U shaped packing block and the Z stepper drive fitted as a unit.
    No point making the block any wider as this mimics the foot print on the column onto the base.
    Wick oiler fitted temporally to the side to check interference , all the slides will have these fitted.

Could be made to fit a manual machine if you mounted a new bottom bracket to the packing block and fitted a jack shaft with the bottom bevel gear on it to join up with the original screw.
    The cheesy column bolts have been replaced by 140mm long Unbrako cap screws.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Looks great to me. I'm in the U.S. and bought mine from Grizzly. I think my z has around 14.75" travel so I assume that it is the long column. I thought I read HF was importing short column, short table x3's. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Steve

Comment

The saga continues:-

Introducing the poor mans pressure oiling system.

Well it is atmospheric pressure

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        Well it is atmospheric pressure

Nope, just plain ole gravity...

Those cups look like they have a fair share of storage capacity though, should be able to soak the hell out of things.
        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-01-2007, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I like it. Simple and should be effective.

One thing I have been thinking about doing to my X3 is adding dovetail extensions to the Y axis. I increased my travel on the Y axis to nearly 8". But so little dovetail is supporting the table that far out it gets loose.

Steve

Comment

Greater X and Y travel would be really nice (bigger table as well).

I have the Griz branded X3. Right now I want larger hand wheels and the power feed unit. Fine feed for the quill would be handy to.

Originally posted by S_J_H
            I like it. Simple and should be effective.

One thing I have been thinking about doing to my X3 is adding dovetail extensions to the Y axis. I increased my travel on the Y axis to nearly 8". But so little dovetail is supporting the table that far out it gets loose.

Steve
            Brett Jones...

Comment

This is as far as I got today.
              All slides have had oil grooves machined in them, screws, bearings and steppers fitted.
              All gib's adjusted.

Basically all the mechanical work is done, got to refit the original electrical enclosure on the back and then make the new one that piggy backs onto this as the new drives and transformer are to large to shoe horn into the space left.

That will have to wait till Monday.

Comment

Working...
              X