Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import mill, step pully or VS for the HSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a VFD solution I'd also suggest that you get a sensorless vector drive. They'll give you a lot better torque at low RPM than a VFD w/o the feature. I have a Hitachi SJ100 drive on my Lagun and seldom move the belt on the mill, just changing the frequency using the remote pad. I have it set to display the RPM on the drive unit, so it's easy to hit the sweet spot with a cutter.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
      tell that I rely on my electrician brothers for stuff like this, True learning starts with a desire -- and iv never had it for electrical much...
      I can relate to that!! I kept seeing references to this "VFD" ?? -- what is this thing? So I went prowling and read quite a lot,-- finding out that I figured I wanted one. I didnt learn enough that I can get into the finer stuff (like Lazlo can) (and I also let my electrician buddy 'help' me install it),--- but, I can relate from experience.

My mill does have the back gear, but I rarely use it --- stays set in the middle belt position and I'm constatly amazed at what it'll do at that setting, like tapping at 50-100rpm --- 1/4" and smaller... no prob, --- and the routine tools at the necessary higher speeds, ---EM's, drill bits, boring, etc that probably 90-95% of my work is done with, it handles it handles with ease,--- all with the turn of the little potentiometer knob. Course I will occasionally have to lower the belt position or run in back gear,--- but you would have to do that in the original setup.

Like Lazlo says, the motor change shouldnt be too big a deal, 3ph motors are plentiful and suprisingly cheap compared to single phase, --- specially if you are a good scrounger. I got a 2hp for my lathe at the scrap yard for .50cts lb ($18.50), --- and I'm still in awe at the difference THAT change made.
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Another vote for step pulleys and a VFD.
        Almost all of these mills come with 3 phase motors, so you are probably going to need to convert from 1~ to 3~ anyway. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and gain some other nice advantages while you are at it. I wouldn't worry too much about up-sizing the motor since few people (especially HSM's) push the machine very hard anyway - I really doubt it will be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
          My mill does have the back gear, but I rarely use it --- stays set in the middle belt position and I'm constatly amazed at what it'll do at that setting, like tapping at 50-100rpm --- 1/4" and smaller... no prob, .

A true Mechanic will get around electrical problems every time, even though my mill is rated at 240 RPM's (single phase but 120rpm's if i bought the 3 phase)
          I can get her down to about 30rpm's if I want, Put pulley system in low gear and leave belt all the way sloppy loose, drag brake accordingly (with third hand of course)

Comment

...........I'm sorry I haven't checked back sooner. Management took away the internet at work as I suspect the people during the day that have stuff to do were spending too much time on it instead of working. Myself on the other hand work at night by myself and have nothing to do! I don't spend much time on the internest at home as I'm busy doing other stuff.

So anyway I REALLY appreciate the input you guys have given. What makes it even better is it's about what I wanted to hear, which always is a nice thing :-) So far I have a list with about $2K in tooling I want to order too, ha!

Thanks again, Rick
            Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

Working...
            X