Am I becoming senile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I becoming senile

I have a problem sometimes I just forget words other times I have no problems but when I do it's embarrassing simple words especially when I'm tired is this the begining of dementia or am I just getting OLD.Alistair do you guys ever suffer from this?
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

And don't write back and say I know what you've got just can't remember what it's calledAlistair

Comment

I'm sorry...what was the question?
      Len

Comment

All the time and I'm only 36. I think alot of that is being a introvert and spending most of my time working alone. I spend alot of time "in my head" and very little expressing those thoughts. Which I would think would be a comon machinist problem, no matter how big the shop, it's still just you and your machine. I did work with a moldmaker who talked to himself. He would say something to himself and then his expression would change and he would laugh or answer himself. Quite entertaining to watch during a long cut.
        Jon Bohlander
        My PM Blog

Comment

Yeah, in the last several years I've noticed that too, when I conversing with someone, I'll be unable to bring to mind the exact word I'm looking for, and my whole train of thought will sort of go dormant while I search fruitlessly for that word.
          It doesn't happen when I'm alone with my thoughts, NOR when I'm composing something at the keyboard like right now.

When it does happen I can feel myself sort of mentally 'tensed up'. It's almost like it's a conversation I'd really rather not be having anyway.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

In short the answer is Yes...

Comment

It is called short term memory loss.
              If I want three things from the garage, I will go out and find two of them come back to the shop and then realize that I forgot the third one.
              It is a normal part of the joy of getting older.

Comment

question was
                do you guys ever suffer from this?

Comment

No! No suffering.
                  There's no doubt in my mind that worrying over such as that will only make it worse. The self-fulfilling prophesy.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Think of it as a gradual return to your childhood bliss, free of worry, 90% unaware of most that goes on around you, and each day brings fascinating new things to you. About the only thing that will be different is you have to change your own diapers.

Comment

Yes it happens to me. It used to burn me up but now I realize it's part of who I am. If others don't like they can kiss my arse, I'm tired of apologizing for something I have little control over.

Had Doctors appointment yesterday. When I walked in he went up one side of me and down the other for being a half an hour late. He said he'd see if he could fit me in but it wouldn't be fair to hold up other patients. I told him I was scheduled for 10:30. I said I'd see if I could find a seat in his crowded waiting room.....it was empty. He comes back a minute later, says he's sorry that I was scheduled for 10:30 and not 10:00AM. It was a very tense visit in more ways then one. They shoved electrodes into my ankle to test my nerves, all of which were working just fine except one that was damaged. My memory fails me more often than not but on this one I was right. Two weeks earlier I was exactly/precisely 1 day late for the appointment? I write it off to old age and don't worry about it.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

YOD I think your correct as we get older we need to slow down as we are not designed to do things as we did once.Please don't become anxious about it your fine buddy, and a good friend of mine, and I wish you all the best Alistair

Comment

Consider yourself lucky. I tell people I have HalfHeimers, I'm deaf and almost blind. That way I don't have to pay attention to whatever others do that I'm not interested in.

Comment

Some-Timers

I call the afflection "Some-Timers". Both my wife and I have troube "word finding" at times. Most of the time we know what the other is talking about so the "missing" words are not needed.

If others don't understand me, they can ask for it to be explained further. I look at the head of grey hair as a badge of wisdom.

Bill
                            Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Alistair,

I wrote a short story about just this problem. Decided to write something shorter. I don't have that problem but my father did.

If you are over 30 years old, my best advice is to go to the doc and get your cholesterol and blood pressure checked.

Lenord

Comment

Working...
                              X