Photobucket test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket test

Well here goes, if this works its pictures of the stuff I've been doing, and a small tool gloat. Found the Starrett surface gauge at a local flea market.
    Jim

Looks like I didn't do it right, should have been four photos.
    Jim

Comment

Next picture, Maybe someone will tell me what I'm doing wrong. Managed to get two of them up.

The last picture is the carbide scraper I fixed up, and the one of the pieces of CI that I.m going to practice on next. I hadn't started on it when I took the picture, I tried it later and it was dulling the carbide almost as fast as it was the carbon steel. A few years ago I had tried to lap the two pieces together with Clover compound, and that stuff was embedded in it to make a pretty good lap, so I used the old files to get under it and save the carbide. We'll see how the carbide cuts after getting rid of the Clover. here.
      Jim

Comment

Good job on figuring out the photobucket and please post pics of your scraping as you progress. I've got a million other things to learn first but I'd like to have a go at hand scraping someday.

SP

Comment

You know when an object is marked 'Thing' you're going to get a good deal

-James

Comment

Could be that you didn't post each picture separately by taking the img tag on photo bucket and copy and paste in the message body if you do you also have to remove the http in the picture url guide box. Also picts have to be resized under about 800x800 to come thru. You can resize on the bucket.
            Also read the first thread on the sticky about posting pic's on the 1st page of this forum.
            Glen
            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

What I do when posting pictures is.When you get the in your computer. open each one up add go to edit . Compress each picture for web pages and name then save. Load them in your photo bucket acct. then when you post say what you wont and click the enter key tO start new paragraph Go to photo buck copy the bottom address and paste in post click for new paragraph an-do again works for me.
              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Ok I have kept digging at the CI. Still can't make it pretty, but it is getting a bit closer to flat. I still make gouges with the corner now and then although I hone the edge off at the corners so they shouldn't cut. that must be an unsuitable grade of carbide, it dulls about as quick as the old file, an Accufinish would be nice for keeping them honed up. I have to use a larger radius than has been suggested in order to come anywhere close to cutting where I want to. Tried sharpening a file by lifting it 12 or 15 deg. when honing the flat sides and tilting it a like amount when doing the end, and using a smaller radius, but couldn't get it to cut that way. Also need to make longer handles so I can tuck them under my arm.

Here are more pictures, but I'm not doing too well in that dept. either, got to find a better way to light them to get rid of the hot spots. I have been resizing the pic's to small with the Powertoy resizer. The first page of the PB sticky is printed out and in front of me when trying to post. Thats a lot of stuff to remember, and not being too swift on the computer I can still make plenty of mistakes.

Suggestions for improving scraping or photography are welcome.

First Pic. After cutting heavy to get rid of the abrasive laden skin. The others follow after several rounds of scraping

Jim

Comment

Scraping - the "3-plates" method.

Deleted/erased-out
                  Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Thank you oldtiffie.That is an interesting link, good pictures and discussion, shows me I'm not doing as bad as I thought.

Yes I know about the three plate method to generate a flat. I have an import 3X12X18 grade B granite plate which I picked up at Grizzley recently. My idea was to use the plate and work the second faces of the three angle plates against each other in rotation to try to make them true right angles. What I was doing on them is probably better described as shaving rather than scraping, the cuttings come off in tiny needle like bits.

I'm disappointed in the carbide scraper, it dulls about as quick as the old files, must be the wrong grade of carbide. Has anyone tried the carbide paint scraper blades from Lowes? They are about 1/16x1/2/x2 with one edge sharpened like a wood chisel, that edge would need to be ground off for safety.

The CI pieces I'm practicing on are the tables from a mini jointer made by AMT. If I can get them flat then I can use them for a secondary, portable reference, they are hollow backed and lightly ribbed. I may try to straighten and square one edge, I need a lot of practice before ordering Durabar to make a straight edge.

Even after honing the edge of the scraper off for about a 16th on each corner, I still make edge gouges now and then, and I think I might have violated the don't ease up too early rule, I've worked on it some more today but didn't take pictures. I'm also having problems getting good pictures, need to find a way to light them more indirectly to avoid the hot spots.

Any suggestions on how to improve the scraping or the photography will be appreciated.
                    Jim

Comment

You might try to use a slight curve on the whole front edge of the scraper. That way it will not dig in on the edges.

The only use for a scraped surface that I can see is for oil retension for rubbing surfaces such as dove tails on a lathe or mill. As far a getting true surfaces I would prefer to grind them and then scrape oil grooves at judicious spaces so as not to disturb the true surface.

But, that's my opinion and don't have to be yours.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Thanks Carld. I did have a slight curve on the end of the scraper, it's not the tool that's the problem, it's the operator. I'd love to have a surface grinder but don't and most likely never will, so I'm trying to learn to do it the old way. It's not a need to thing, it's just a want to learn something thing for me.

Actually I am slowly getting a bit better at seeing when I'm doing it wrong. I put a longer handle on the scraper, and now can use a bit tighter radius on the edge than before, and can steer the cut a bit by putting gentle twisting pressure on the tool with my left hand.

Never having seen anyone scraping anything, I'm having to make my own mistakes, and I'm making plenty of them, such as continuing the original twist in the piece by putting on too much pressure when spotting.
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X