Mill teardown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill teardown

Here's a coupla quick pics I took of the dismantling of my Rockwell H/V mill for a move to the basement. I don't know why, but it seems like everytime I intend to take some pictures, I end up forgetting until just about the end of the project. Anyway here you go...

From this

To this

this

Having never done this before, I went pretty slowly/carefully and packed about a half-dozen baggies with the small bits and some notes indicating where they came from. Took about 2.5hrs total. I think it will go back together in half the time though. The engine hoist that I really didn't want to buy--for just this mill/lathe move--actually came in very handy. I can see it being pretty useful down the road. I couldn't raise the knee high enough to get it off the column because of interference with the horizontal spindle (which I really didn't feel like pulling out). Instead, I cheated and pulled the column up from the base/knee with the hoist and set it right on a hand cart. Worked like a charm! I also got a few weights if anybody's still reading this:

Vertical head complete with motor...135#
    Table and powerfeed...106#
    Horizontal motor and mount...77#
    I think the saddle was about 40# and would guess the base and knee at maybe 150# total and the remaining chunk of column/horizontal spindle/pulleys/backgears at 400-450#. It sounds like alot but is actually pretty managable--although I don't have it downstairs yet SG

It looks like you are well on your way. I have not done a combo version of that mill, it adds a bit more weight and difficulty, but it still makes installation in a space with limited access simple.
    Jim H.

Comment

Good luck on your project. Hope you got the lift with the folding legs. I did and love it. I don't fool around with cars but I'm using the engine lift a lot because I have no one nearby to help me with heavy loads. I've even toyed with modifying the boom so I can lift my lawn tractor onto the workbench. I don't get down on the ground for oil changes as easily as I used to !!

(ps. Don't delay getting that puppy back together or you might forget a lot along the way !)
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Thats a cool looking little mill and it looks in good shape also, My mill is 1550lbs and i had to do the same thing when i first bought it but the fact is is it would have had to get torn down all the way anyways just because I would have kept finding stuff that I did not like so would not have quit till all was well --- there's nothing like the piece of mind knowing that everything is right and then all the added bennies of "one upping" the factory in better design, Now is the time to make the needed changes if you see a reason,

some of the best improvements to my mill were actually in the one shot lube system, by sealing off the lead screw mounts with O-rings and such my lead screws are actually running in little gearboxes that could survive months without added lubrication (but they still get replenished all the time and it just goes out an over flow) Also -- the table saddle got its vertical lines sealed --- they used to just give a spirt to the horizontal galley and that was that, then all the rest would be lost between the line and the hole the line goes through including much of what just went into the horizontal galley, by sealing those area's my one shot is more of a pressure feed than just a sloppy way of getting lube to places so much so that when I give it two pumps the first removes all air and the second takes about a half minute to slowly push the pump handle down, Dont know if you have a one shot or not (cant tell what that is hanging on your base) but if you do its something to consider and if you dont they make add ons and if youv ever thought about installing one now would be the time...

Now I think I know what that little box is --- I seen the upper switch for the mill motor and then seen the horizontal drive so that must be what thats for, It would take some figuring to see whats what and probably some high quality flex lines but you could adapt a one shot im sure (where theres a mill theres a way)
        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-09-2007, 08:48 AM.

Comment

With the added pix to those you showed the other day-----That is REALLY a NICE looking mill!! If the lathe looks the same (and it obviously does) that price you gave is sounding better n' better.....
          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Don't feel bad ( having never done this before ) None of us did the first time . Just think how much more you know about you new mill now . get it downstaire and back together the do the lathe. And you will be that much the wiser. good luck with your new toys. I know you will enjoy the mill I did when I had mine . When you are ready to build a slow speed attachment for the mill I can tell you how because it runs to fast just ask . a few pieces of alum. plate 2 pulleys 2 bearings and a extra belt will slow it down nicely.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Thanks Lane! The motor in the vertical head I have is the 1140 rpm one, not the 1725, so the speeds should be a bit lower. Have fun! SG

Comment

picture of slow speed attachment for Rockwell mill.Norhing on mill is changed.
                Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Here's a few pics of the base and column on the trailer. The complete mill is home now, still in parts. I should get the column downstairs tonight and probably assemble it tomorrow.

Comment

That is just a great size Mill for a basement, Your going to be set up very well...

Comment

S-grinder: 245 rpm is slowest speed w/ the 1140 motor, 370 is lowest w/ the 1725 motor which is what I have. I think that's a bit too fast, may add a VFD later to take care of it. Is your a 3 ph motor?
                      I bury my work

Comment

No recoiless, it is single phase. Do you ever use your top speed (~6300) for milling aluminum or anything? As I understand it, the stock motor has an extended shaft that makes it anything but an off the shelf item. Probably nothing a crafty hsm'er couldn't overcome though

Comment

Rockwell mill motors...

Sidegrinder;
                          You're right that the vertical mill motor has an extended shaft, and the big step pulley in dynamicly balanced. Yes. I built an extension shaft so I could use a single phase motor on mine...Works OK, but the low speed isn't low enough for some things...(With a 1725 RPM motor...)
                          You got a nice mill there, btw. Enjoy many years with it. I've had mine 21 years.
                          Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X