x39's TIG welding advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x39's TIG welding advice...

Don't mix your stainless rods with your aluminum rods...

Another man sacrifices his reputation for the good of all! Is there more to the story?
    Steve

Comment

I did that once. welding aluminum and grabed a stainless rod. that stuff don't like to mix
      Kerry
      Rule #1 be 10% smarter then what you\'re working on.
      Rule #2 see Rule #1

Comment

Don't mix sparklers with welding electrodes.
        Jim H.

Comment

Had a guy at work kept wondering why he couldn't weld aluminun with the wire gun,checked out the machine,checked out the gas,found the stainless weld wire!
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by docsteve66:
            Is there more to the story?
            Steve
            </font>
            Only that it took me almost half an hour to figure out why I was getting this horrible looking bead and my tungsten kept burning up! Checked amperage setting, argon flow, changed torch cups, changed tungsten types...Lesson: never overlook the obvious.

[This message has been edited by x39 (edited 04-25-2003).]

Comment

And NEVER put dynamite in the road flare pouch in your road kit. (wile E coyote).

Normally I can tell the difference in aluminum and stainless by feel.

I did know a mean drunk that cleared a bar by throwing a road flare in with a lit fuse on the nail.

Comment

ibewgypsie:
                I can rub Aluminum between my fingers and tell it is Aluminum by the smell. Can't do it for week after eating chili - I don't light matches then either!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
                  [B]

Normally I can tell the difference in aluminum and stainless by feel.

B]</font>
                  Well, I guess bad lighting and gloves got me there. Usually when I pull a fresh rod, I'll loop the end of it so I don't poke myself in the eye with it, but I didn't this time. Had I done that, I'd have noticed right away of course.

Comment

Sounds like forgetting to turn the gas on for the MIG......I do that at least 1 time in 5......
                    And what's really bad is, I always mess with the wire feed and check the heat BEFORE I think to open it up.

------------------
                    NRA Lifetime Member
                    NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

X man,

Thought maybe you had stored them together and when you went to use them all you had was a handfull of white metal powder. Corrosion from dissimilar metals can raise hell in the shop.

Bernard

Comment

x,
                        i have been there., now i make sure the rod is pliable beforehand. but something good came out of your post, at least for me. i like your idea of looping the end of the filler rod. i cant tell you how many times ive jabbed my neck or it got under my hood. i feel like such a fool for all of that blood that i lost because i couldnt think to do something as simple as that! haha
                        steve
                        extreme tractor racing

Comment

Hey, maybe that corrision isn't all bad. Put a few choice metals together, water it, then after it's all powder, there's your raw material for sintering a new metal alloy, or is that a new ceramic, hmm.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

We've all done similar things, X.. I wasn't knocking you.. Last thing I done was try to shave a piece of uhmw with a router bolted to a table. At least I had the brains to hold it with pliers. My fingers were smarting so bad from the blade hitting the pliers I thought I had lost some. ANd then... yeah sometimes weekly..

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by steve schaeffer:
                              i like your idea of looping the end of the filler rod.</font>
                              Steve, in light of the event that led to my starting this thread, I feel kind of silly telling you this, but you can also use different style loops on the ends of your rods to tell them apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X