?s for Mklotz about his chuck "spider"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?s for Mklotz about his chuck "spider"

I am building a spider inspired by yours and have a couple of questions.

Why did you end up with two sets of holes in the plate?

Is there a reason that you chose to put the "tenons" on the spacers rather than on the plate?

With my limited expertise I think it would be easier to drill a hole in the end of each spacer than to turn to a shoulder of an exact "height".

Bob

The two sets of holes are an artifact of a problem that arises with my particular chuck. It's not worth explaining here. Suffice it to say that you can build it with only one set of holes.

I didn't want the tenons on the plate because I anticipated cases where the plate would have to be close to the chuck face and the tenons would limit how close the spider could approach the face.

In retrospect, that situation has never arisen so putting tenons on the plate instead of the spacers would have been ok, and, admittedly, would have made the process of making spacers a bit easier.

As with all bodged shop gadgets, there's nothing sacred about the original design. Make what works for you.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I am not Marv, but I think I would add a vote in support of his existing design.

I'd think that if you can face off three plugs to the same length, it is no more work to face off those three plugs with a shoulder at the same length. In other words, you have to hold the length of the spacer plugs consistent either way. The pin portion on the other hand does not have to be perfect.

This method also has the advantage that you don't have to find a way to bolt the tennons to the plate etc. The plate is simple...round with three holes and three slots. The pins are simple....three the same length with a tennon that doesn't have to be of perfect length, just a bit shorter than the depth of the plate.

Paul
      Paul Carpenter
      Mapleton, IL

Comment

Thanks Marv & Paul.

Marv, I was just checking to see if there was something about tghe tenons on the plate I was missing.

Paul, for me with my limited experience, press fitting three tenons one time is easier that machining three tenons for every set of spacers I make.

Also, if there ever comes a time when I can make up a spacer by stacking smaller ones, I can just drop a rod into the holes, which would have to be there anyway to hold the fixed tenon of the added spacer.

Thanx again.

Comment

Bob-- I follow you up to a point. If you put fixed tennons on the plate, then you don't have to machine tennons on your spacer pins. On the other hand, you then have to face them off to length and then bore a hole in the back of each one which seems like more work to me, not less.

To each his own however....I know we all have certain things we hate to do more than others.

Paul
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

Paul,

A tale to show you what a novice I am.

I figured that a 5C collet with a stop and locking the carriage to face all three spacers would produce equal length spacers. When I couldn't produce three closer than .006 trying all manner of solutions, I became quite frustrated. I even tried using a torque wrench to tighten the collet.

DUH!!! The diameter of the spacers don't have to match in their intended use, BUT the dia does affect the distance the collet is pulled into the chuck thus affecting the height of the spacer using my procedure.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X