Power hacksaw : Are they still made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power hacksaw : Are they still made?

I was wondering if they still made power hacksaws. If they still do, could someone suggest a good brand and maybe a link to the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Mike

If you are talking small I think so,maybe JET.But I have to ask why do you want one?They are after all kinda slow.My money would go to a good bandsaw.Just a thought.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Well not too small. I was thinking of something that would cut 4" bar stock.

I just wanted to check them out. A friend of mine has a real 'oldie' and it sure makes some nice cuts...although, as you said, it's slow.

Comment

Keller Industries still makes them. No website but do a google search for their number. Hold on to your wallet!

They also make die filers.

Bobby

Comment

I have a power hacksaw that somebody gave to me last year. It was made in the 1950s, uses 8 inch blades, and looks like it had very little use when I got it. I cut and punched a bunch of blades and now it's a workhorse for me.

The only thing that it needs is a starter cap, other wise I have to give it a little push.

Jerry

Comment

I forgot to mention that Lindsey books has the plans to make one.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

Jerry

Comment

Mike. I got a old one, it weighs about 800lbs.. Personally I would trade it for a 200 dollar bandsaw. I just bid on some blades for it on ebay. I have a motor on it, a little too small. First motor I had on it ran 3600 rpm and it would jump off the floor.. it does cut straight tho.

Where are you at? we might work something out.

Comment

I'm located in Utah. Right now I'm just looking into them.

Mike

Comment

Is there something that power hacksaw can do that bandsaw can't?

Albert

Comment

Good question Albert. I've always doubted it. Which is why I passed one up at auction, before buying a bandsaw. ...now glad I did.

But then whatda I know. I've never even seen one in use. I'll be watching for answers from the knowledgeable along with you.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

They can cut that 4" bar unattended while you are off hibernating for the winter. Before you invest any $$ in those, check out John Dean's METAL SLICER in Apr 95 issue of PIM. Compact, and looks like it will do a good job.

Comment

Well, the old timer machinist (read that codger) at TVA told me.. if the blade is straight and the vise is tight it will cut perfectly straight. It makes a a stroke that is straight back and forth like a shaper, not a flimsy thin blade.
                        When I got mine, (peerless) it had the blade on backwards and I wonder how that worked out for them? Some people amaze me. It strokes like a hacksaw, downward pressure one way, lifts the other. (the way I was taught to file too)

They had some drill presses at TVA made like a milling machine for boring large holes. Adjustable rotation, adjustable drill angle indexing, adjustable feed down. You moved the head over the hole. I think they were made in the 20's or 30's. only used morse taper drills. I was awed, straight holes, I wanted one sooo bad.
                        They weighed more than 6,000 pounds tho, no way it would fit in my lunchbox. (actually I am troubled by the honesty syndrome)

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 04-25-2003).]

Comment

My power hacksaw is an old Racine rail cutter. It will cut straighter than any bandsaw that I have ever used. Blade life is good if I use 14 tpi. (last week made 25 cuts on 1/12" x 4" flat bar, no teeth missing but getting a bit dull) I would like to have a bandsaw for some work but not at the expense of the Racine. I built the first power hacksaw that I ever owened, my frend Ducan ( a fellow HSM ) has it now. It works good but doesn't lift on the back stroke. Funny thing is that it's not any harder on blades than the Racine.
                          Hope this helps you make a choice. Regards, George

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 04-25-2003).]
                          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Yes there is one thing special they can do, you can make a few slight mods and have a nifty paint shaker!
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If you can find a good old used power hacksaw it should be cheap. I love mine, gave just a little over scrap price for it and delivered to boot.

Will slice off 4" bar stock to within .005, takes a good bandsaw to do the same. Blades are cheap and last a good long time. I use 4tpi blades, thin stuff gets cut with the chop saw.

Yes it's a bit slow, but it shuts off when it's done and I don't have to worry about it like a cheap bandsaw, which I sold as soon as I had the old hacksaw running.

Comment

Working...
                              X