No announcement yet.

Drive Name

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drive Name

    I am trying to find the name or how to make the type drive that is used on fishing reels to traverse the line back and forth while cranking in one direction.
    I need to make a 6" one for a project that I am working on. Any help would very much be appreciated.

  • #2
    It's a self-reversing lead screw.


    • #3
      Ball Reverser

      Google: Flennor Ball Reverser

      Industrial duty configurations for controlling layers of cable or whatever, on a spooling system, ie. level wind fishing reels.

      We've installed six Flennor devices now, for everyday operations. Spooling quarter inch diameter hoist cable on 18 inch diameter spools, with a width betwix flanges of 12 inches. No problems.

      Somewhat pricey, but that depends on relative values of what is being spooled, and why, I guess.



      • #4
        There are two ways to rig a level wind, that quickly come to mind.

        #1 Crossed helical slots, controlling a line guide eye.
        (yes a deliberatly superimposed left and right thread)
        You have seen a fast combo on a Yankee tool.

        #2 A heart cam controlling a distribution lever.
        Common as dirt on bobbin winders of old sewing machines.

        Haven't looked a a cylindrical "string ball" winder lately.
        Cable lacing cord still comes on those.

        Hth Ag