Tow Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Trucks

Growing up as a Seattle kid, I had a real fondness for tug boats. The Foss fleet was moored nearby on the ship canal near the Fremont Bridge, and I used to walk all over the slips, admiring them. There was something really nifty about a boat that was essentially all engine.

I'm reminded of tugs when I see a nice tow truck, like this one I spotted in Scotland a few weeks ago. It may be tarted up a bit, but no matter, it still looks like it means business. Considering the relative narrowness of the roads in UK, it is really very big, too.

Last edited by aostling; 07-11-2007, 05:51 AM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Gee whizz...that truck has more advertising than a newspaper!

Comment

Originally posted by aostling

I'm reminded of tugs when I see a nice tow truck, like this one I spotted in Scotland a few weeks ago. It may be tarted up a bit, but no matter, it still looks like it means business. Considering the relative narrowness of the roads in UK, it is really very big, too.
      We had this down our lane a few weeks ago. There's a 7.5 ton limit on the lane (no more than a track really), & the railway maintenance wagon shouldn't have been there in the first place!

The wrecker driver had to reverse his rig nearly half a mile down the lane, round two blind 90 degree bends. He made a better job of that than did the railway driver, going forwards, after he got out

Comment

Aostling, the brush guards are a nice touch!
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
          Aostling, the brush guards are a nice touch!
          Yes. I'd like to see a photo of an Aussie tow truck with roo bars.
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

roo bars are for amateurs
            trucks have bull-bars

frinstance
            http://www.kingbars.com.au/roadtrain.html
            Last edited by Swarf&Sparks; 07-11-2007, 01:56 PM.
            Just got my head together
            now my body's falling apart

Comment

Mike, you being a Seattle boy should remember the famous "toe truck;" an actual tow truck customised so the cab resembled a bare foor with individial toes sticking up.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/wheels/toetruck.htm

Lincoln Towing operated it. They used to dig it out for parades and events. It was kept in a yard up near the Mercer Mess.
              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 07-11-2007, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                Allan, you being a Seattle boy should remember the famous "toe truck;" an actual tow truck customised so the cab resembled a bare foor with individial toes sticking up.
                Forrest, I took several photos of the Toe Truck, back when I used film cameras. I left Seattle in 1961 after living there since 1941, but every time I returned I would photograph the dwindling industrial scene of my boyhood. I particularly miss the old brick round house at the Interbay rail switching yards, where steam locomotives used to be in repairs.

It was from the Magnolia shore, where I lived, that we witnessed the greatest conflagration I've ever seen, in 1958. Acres of seventy-foot stacks of cedar lumber caught fire on the Ballard shore http://www.historylink.org/essays/ou...m?file_id=2445 . One of Seattle's fireboats tied up to fight the blaze. The heat was so intense the paint started blistering on the hull. A fireman rushed on deck and tried to cut the mooring line with a fire-axe, but he was driven back by the heat. The captain inched forward to put slack on the line, then called for full reverse. This snapped the hawser and the fire boat was saved. None of the lumber survived. The flames (or at least the red glow in the sky) were actually seen in Victoria, B.C.

Now that I think about it, a fireboat rivals a tugboat, for sheer concentrated power and purpose.
                Last edited by aostling; 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Isn't that "toe truck" setting on top of a pedistal or building down town now? Seems like I saw it right off Aurora, or maybe it was just W of the I5? Anyway, I seem to remember going to Center back in the mid/late 90s and seeing it...
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

not quite a tow-truck, but.......

Comment

Amateur! We have those too but they are restricted to the mines. For real on road vehicles we don't bother with "bush bars", we just armor the entire front. That isn't because they might hit a giant grizzly or something, it's because he might hit you. They don't have tow trucks for these guys. You have to pay attention to the signs on the back roads. They run on radio control and don't slow down on the curves or pull over when loaded. If he doesn't know you are there you won't be after he passes.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        Amateur! We have those too but they are restricted to the mines. For real on road vehicles we don't bother with "bush bars", we just armor the entire front. That isn't because they might hit a giant grizzly or something, it's because he might hit you. They don't have tow trucks for these guys. You have to pay attention to the signs on the back roads. They run on radio control and don't slow down on the curves or pull over when loaded. If he doesn't know you are there you won't be after he passes.
                        Evan

Are they remote control to the extent of no driver or is he just sitting in the cab drinking coffee and watching for any warning lights?

I've been up into the forests in northern Maine and they do warn you that logging trucks don't slow down and always have priority. Didn't see many logging trucks but the hire car was pretty mucky when it got back to Boston airport.

Charles

Comment

Ged-oudda-my-effen-way

Deleted/erased-out
                          Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Are they remote control to the extent of no driver or is he just sitting in the cab drinking coffee and watching for any warning lights?
                            Radio control, not remote controlled. They announce on specified channels where they are and when they expect to pass certain mileposts. Signs at the entrances to the many forestry roads give instruction on what radio channels are used on the road and warn of the hazard. The truck drivers coordinate with each other. Anybody else would do well to listen.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<sigh>
                              Yup, remember similar logging trucks hauling saw logs of jarrah/karri/blackbutt
                              til they clear-felled and woodchipped the lot to get at bauxite

Comment

Working...
                              X