There's no pleasing some folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's no pleasing some folk

A friend of mine has just built a small scale model of a narrow gauge Welsh mountain railway loco, one of the saddle tank variety.
    He was talking about a name plate for it and being a good friend I offered to do him one on my new CNC router.

I asked him what name and he hadn't thought of one for it. He wanted something that was Welsh and reflected on the engine and it's history.

So did a bit of searching on Google [ Evan's gone into town so he posted and I can get on ] looking for welsh locomotive and place names.

Found a right pearler, programmed it in V Carve [ brillant program, so easy to use ] shot into the Bat Cave and machined it.

Rang him up to come round and showed him this pair of name plates.

Well not the reception I had hoped for after doing someone a favour

His parting reply was "well now I have to build an even bigger scale model " ??
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    What's wrong with this ???
    >
    >
    >

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Not a thing that I can see! ...I guess gratitude is just hard to come by for some people.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Known as Llanfair P.G to the locals ..

Perhaps you should shorten it to please him .
      or alter his engine to this one

Been showing Steve Thomas of the practical machinist board the little Welsh trains and locos ...

Got us a tour of the Llangollen railway workshop ........very very interesting .

and a tour of the Snowdon mountain railway workshop.

and a few rides ...

plus a visit to Electric-Mountain.

He should have a lot to say ...and quite a few interesting pics when he gets back home to NY next week sometime ...so look out for his posts on the PM board..

All the best..mark
      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 07-14-2007, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        >
        >
        What's wrong with this ???

What does this place name mean? It's too long to write down and I can't copy and paste your image into Google.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfai...ysiliogogogoch

Comment

Maybe they can use that next year in the ESPN coverage of the National Spelling Bee, they could use that as the first word and eliminate the entire field by end of the first round.

Jack
            jack

Comment

With friends like that who needs enemies? charge him some outrageous price and then when he never pays for it call it payment in kind so to speak.
              I quit doing favors twenty years ago because they were never returned.
              Family members are the worst.
              Yes I realize you didn't mention it was a paying job or a freebie.

Comment

Well..anyone can see you've spelled it wrong.
                Len

Comment

Allan,

You don't need to type in the entire thing in Google. Just a few characters that are likely unique will do.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...G=Search&meta=
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Welsh names.

Deleted/erased-out
                    Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      Allan,

You don't need to type in the entire thing in Google. Just a few characters that are likely unique will do.
                      Evan,

Too right. I just tried it with my favorite Maori place name (the world's longest?) and it worked just as you said. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Ticket

Deleted/erased-out
                        Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I guess if you had a lathe with that name, it would have to be at least a 36 inch.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Never mind the lathe!!

Deleted/erased-out
                            Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 05:54 AM.

Comment

But, but..

I didn't realize your island was big enough for a sign that long! (Well, maybe, if I included half that tunnel).
                              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Working...
                              X