Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many people on this site are actually machinists for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many people on this site are actually machinists for a living?

I'm a 4th year apprentice and work for national oilwell

I made my living as a job shop machinist for about 11 years till I screwed up my back.

Now I just tinker in my shop at home.

Comment

I'm retired. I once worked in all aspects of aircraft metal work for about 4 years after training in the army.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I am. 31 years.
        http://millermachinetool.com/ Been there 18 years. Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          I'm retired. I once worked in all aspects of aircraft metal work for about 4 years after training in the army.
          Evan, this comment seems to contradict something you wrote last year. Were you ever formerly trained as a machinist?

Originally posted by Evan
          I am not a machinist, it's an avocation, not a vocation. I have never been employed as a machinist, only as a airframe mechanic and welder/fitter (plus at least 50 other jobs over the years that have had little or nothing to do with metal work).
          http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...4&postcount=69

Just curious...
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I also make a meager living as a machinist.
            Among other things.

Comment

Evan, this comment seems to contradict something you wrote last year. Were you ever formerly trained as a machinist?
              No. I have done nearly everything there is to do in metalwork for a living that doesn't involve lathes, milling machines or foundry work. I have never claimed to be a machinist.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I do. I also design some of the machines I make.

Comment

Vocation

I was trained by the US Air Force as a machinist as well as aircraft structural repair. I have worked professionally as a machinist also in a model shop weld shop as well as aircraft repair.
                  Tin
                  Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Part time machine operator/fabricator....

I make part of my living as a light gauge metal fabricator (allied to my business as an HVAC contractor....Duct work, flashings, curbs, artistic stuff like newel post caps in copper....). I have a diploma in mechanical engineering technology from BCIT, an undergraduate degree in materials science from Ryerson, some RCNVR courses in marine engineering and have completed some courses in lathe & milling machine operation in the machinist training program at BCIT. No IPTQ as a machinist, I refer to my self as a "lathe operator" but do earn a bit of cash at it and enjoy it as a hobby as well. Tetra society jobs allow me to give something back to society too. Working in the shop this afternoon, in fact.
                    Still enjoy it, sometimes think it would be nice to do it full time in the shop where it's warm & dry, versus driving around in a service van. Not that big a market here anymore though. Toilets and heat pay the bills & mortgage.
                    Rick

Comment

I have been working full time as a machinist for the last 11 years. Been running my shop at home for almost 3 years mostly as a modeler but I sometimes do work for others to make money to buy new equipment.
                      Jonathan P.

Comment

I've worked for the last 30 years as an industrial boiler service technician, doing electrical, hydraulic, pnuematic, combustion and refractory services. I also fabricate and machine parts for boilers that are no longer made, as the number of manufacturers still in business, is getting smaller all the time.

About 25% of what I do in my shop is for the boiler company, the rest is for other endeavers, like racing, farm repairs and small jobs for local contractors.

jack
                        jack

Comment

Not me, for sure. Never made a Dime off it. I do it just as a hobby.

Comment

Machinist for a living

I served a 7500 hour apprenticeship at Pratt and Whitney Machine Tool (West Hartford, CT) from 10/65 to 10/68. Followed by three years at Pratt and Whitney Aircraft (East Hartford, CT) and a variety of other positions over the years. In 1987 I took an instructing position in the Vo-Tech system here in Connecticut.

September 1 will mark my 20th anniversary as an instructor. So, not only have I been a machinist for 42 years I have had a hand in creating a number of machinists along the way.

Only a small percentage of our graduates stay in the trade but those who do have become leadmen and foreman and several now own their own shops.

One of this years grads earned a full four scholarship to the University of Connecticut School of Engineering. He was a super student! This entire past year I never once had to tell him what to do. Every day he would show up with an Autocad drawing of whatever part the Chevelle he is rebuilding needed. Transfer it to Mastercam and do the tool path and set about manufacturing the piece. Actually listened to guidance when he was going astray and was, all in all, a great kid to have around. I will miss him greatly when school starts in the fall.
                            Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
                            http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Dicks 4200:
                              I have never heard of the TETRA Society. I did a google and checked out the web page.Looks very interesting. Please post a thread and tell us about your involvement with this group and post some photos of the projects you have done for them.
                              Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Working...
                              X