Wow, mechanical pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, mechanical pictures

Playing today wiith the sister program to VCarve Pro called Photo VCarve.
    This takes a bit map and turns it into a greyscale cutting routine for copying photo's on a CNC.

Nothing new about this process it's been around for a while, many use light and dark dots to work out the depth and when stained they show up the different depths as shades. A lot like a news print picture.

Where Photo VCarve differs is it does a continuous diagonal line and alters the depth as it goes along. These lines then run parallel to one another and from a distance again show the shades after staining.
    Big difference is the dot type programs can take 8 to 10 hours to generate a picture against 1 to 2 for the Photo VCarve.

Here's a pic taken at the recent Canton show of our UK importer meeting with Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries.

And heres the result engraved on a piece of MDF board.

Again a bit of a rush job and I need to experiment more with settings. This is 7" x 6" and took 1 hour 34 minutes to cut.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Originally posted by John Stevenson

Here's a pic taken at the recent Canton show of our UK importer meeting with Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries

Sir John,

The photo lacks contrast, and is unsharp. The composition sucks. Why would you choose to photo-engrave this one?
    Allan Ostling

Comment

What's contrast, unsharp and sucks ?

Simple answer by PM as not to go public on this.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Yes John. a self portrait would do much nicer.

Comment

time

"took 1 hour 34 minutes to cut"

John
          Is there any money in this (maybe I am too blunt)
          But 1:34m machine time plus programing makes me think that you need at least $75-$100 per picture, unless you are doing lots of the same?
          ie one off would be time/pricey?!
          let me know
          eddie
          PS But this V-carve program does a GREAT Job and perhaps I can see where it would work.
          please visit my webpage:
          http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
            Why would you choose to photo-engrave this one?
            I know why I'd do it. Being a Philistine, I'd do it just to flatter Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries Maybe I'm not the only Philistine on this board!
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
              I know why I'd do it. Being a Philistine, I'd do it just to flatter Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries Maybe I'm not the only Philistine on this board!
              Old Dog,

You're onto something, here.
              Allan Ostling

Comment

Well Mr Ma must have liked his picture.
                Just had a call from London Heathrow and a brand spanky new CNC mini mill has just cleared customs.

No idea what it's cost to air freight this over as opposed to sea.

Pics later when I get a carrier organised.

Comment

If he really liked you, he would send you a real CNC mill, or at least a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                    If he really liked you, he would send you a real CNC mill, or at least a big one.
                    Give me time....I'm working on it...........

Comment

Is there any money in this (maybe I am too blunt)
                      Think headstones.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Just had a call from London Heathrow and a brand spanky new CNC mini mill has just cleared customs.
                        Sieg is making CNC mini-mills now? Are they for sale, or is it a prototype?

I haven't seen a Sieg factory-built CNC in the 'States...
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

You have, you just don't know it.

See here
                          http://www.smithy.com/product_home.p...id=16&pid=1006

and here

http://www.smithy.com/product_home.p...id=16&pid=1007

How available they are in the US I have no idea but lets say things will get interesting later this year on the home shop front.

Comment

We even have em in Oz
                            http://www.syil.com.au/product_U2.php
                            The X3 conversion is likely my next major purchase
                            Just got my head together
                            now my body's falling apart

Comment

You have, you just don't know it.

How available they are in the US I have no idea but lets say things will get interesting later this year on the home shop front.
                              Wow, I didn't know that Sieg makes the Smithy machine!
                              Smithy has large, full-page ads in each HSM issue -- I had no idea they were Sieg machines.

Dang, if Sieg is getting into the hobby CNC market, guys like Tormach are going to disappear pretty quickly...
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X