Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe OT(??) Who was/is the most famous machinist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DR
    At least one mention has been made of the Wright brothers.
    No one is reading this thread, and just repeating posts at the end.
    The Wright Brothers have been mentioned twice.
    (and Marv and I agreed earlier that they weren't machinists)
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
      The things that Joseph Whitworth did as and for machinists is awe-inspiring.

He should be of particular interest to "Gunnies". (Gun fanciers, users, maintainers, hobbiests etc.)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Whitworth

And here is the inventor of the screw-cutting lathe and the first micrometer to read to a "tenth".
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Maudslay
      Tiffie, I posted Whitworth and Maudslay on the first page, and John went into detail about Whitworth's Ill-fated redesign of the Enfield Rifle on the second page

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...54&postcount=8

Originally posted by lazlo
      Two Brits:

Henry Maudslay, who invented the first metal lathe in 1797

Sir Joseph Whitworth, who was the first to apply precision scraping methods to machine design, was the machinist who built a major portion of Charles Babbage's Difference Engine, invented the Whitworth thread, and invented a bunch of clever mechanisms for the state-of-the-art Victorian-era machinery, including the Whitworth Quick Return that's used on most shapers:

http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/b/shc.html

Whitworth demonstrated a surface plate accurate to within a microinch at the 1851 World's Fair, and also demonstrated a precision micrometer-based Height Gage which was accurate enough to measure it
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Did too - sorry

Deleted/erased-out
        Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          I think the term "Famous Machinist" is a bit of an oxymoron. T
          An Oxymoron is an idiot welder or someone employed by BOC.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Almost

Deleted/erased-out
            Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter S
              The most striking part of this thread is the lack of knowledge displayed - and how a lack of knowledge won't slow down the confident man - he just goes ahead with a wild guess!
              You neglected to mention that the correct name is Fred H. Colvin, not Stanley. Colvin & (Frank A.) Stanley collaborated on the original American Machinists' Handbook.
              Jim H.

Comment

OCC gang = Machinists?? No way!!

Originally posted by MCS
                In the view of many people, the OCC crew will be the most famous machinists.
                IMO, These guys are far from "machinists." By "these guys" I reference the "stars" of the show. They do build/assemble some very unique motorcycles, so they have some metal working talents. Yet, from what I have seen of the "stars" of the show, (not a habitual viewer), machining is not one of them.

OCC may employ a few machinists, but they are not on camera.

I figured by now, someone would have mentioned themselves.
                Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

I did

Deleted/erased-out
                  Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Let me throw in Blaise Pascal, who build in 1642 a mechanical adding and subtracting device, the Pascaline. A computer avant la lettre, with gears.

My fellow countryman Antoni van Leeuwenhoek, from the same era, who build his own microscopes and gave biology a boost.

They had no CNC equipment, they had no equipment as it was since the industrial revolution.

Comment

Who was/is the most famous machinist?

Who was/is the most famous machinist?

Evan Maybe?

With 16,000 posts, and counting, he is the one

with the most time on his hands anyway.

Kap

Comment

To: RPEASE
                        Maybe I wasn't real clear. However, John Dillinger's wanted poster as printed by the then named "Bureau of Investigations" listed his occupation as "machinist." Whether he ever worked as one(I don't know) or was a result of his training while incarcerated(possibly), I am merely stating he carried the title of machinist. Thus, the question.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Hiram Maxim, who as one of the world's most prolific inventors, mastered an incredible amount of skills. If he was a self taught machinist half as good as his inventing prowess, he was one hell of a machinist.

I'm glad this has spurred some interest.
                        I bury my work

Comment

Carbine Williams

As long as you started with men that were famous gunsmiths I will nominate Carbine Williams. He had a bit of a problem in as much as he was in prison for the killing of a man that raided his still. At the time the US government was looking for a reliable rifle for its troops to use with a high rate of fire.
                          Carbine Williams built it in prison and then announced that he wished to compete with the arms makers that were submitting their arms for consideration by the army. It was arranged for him to present the carbine that he designed and built mostly by hand. The rest is history The US 30 caliber carbine M1 and M2 was accepted by the army and was used all over Europe in WW2 along with the Garrard. Its an unusual story but true. As far as working by reduction he used a walnut fence post and a model A axle.
                          Last edited by Yankee1; 07-20-2007, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Yea It was a good movie, rent it if you can.

Comment

Lets rephrase the question.Who is the most notable machinist on this web site. Lets see were this goes . Any recommendations.
                              Lets see ------------.
                              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Fused?

Deleted/erased-out
                                Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-20-2007, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X