Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe OT(??) Who was/is the most famous machinist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Re-incarnation of a zombie thread.....

Comment

• Wow zombie robots --- that guys kinda cool - click on em and he's chasing you in the dark --- extra scary....

Comment

• Christian Bale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machinist

Comment

• Old thread so prolly been mentioned. How bout the old clock mech that was found off the Coast of Greece? That machinist is well known? lol JR

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Wow - that's maybe like 5 miles from where I used to live, wonder if it's one of my old buddy's lol

This old post kinda made me sad as I seen Sir Johns reply's in it --- he had no orange increments under his name but I went through and got him into the half score range --- someone please go through and top him off, thanks

Oh almost forgot --- the greatest machinist of all time was Sir John...
            We had a guy here was a travelling tool salesman, selling tooling for machine tools. He got charged with murdering his wife in a park near to where they lived in West Kelowna... anyway he had beaten her to death, and turns out the weapon was Either a large drill bit or reamer... like 1.5 or 1.75 inches diameter. My buddy had told me this and remarked he probably had come buy your shop and tried selling you tooling.. he be out of jail by now , or died of old age..

I noticed an Evan post below. . I guess they did not all erase.

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Wow - that's maybe like 5 miles from where I used to live, wonder if it's one of my old buddy's lol

This old post kinda made me sad as I seen Sir Johns reply's in it --- he had no orange increments under his name but I went through and got him into the half score range --- someone please go through and top him off, thanks

Oh almost forgot --- the greatest machinist of all time was Sir John...
              We had a guy here was a travelling tool salesman, selling tooling for machine tools. He got charged with murdering his wife in a park near to where they lived in West Kelowna... anyway he had beaten her to death, and turns out the weapon was Either a large drill bit or reamer... like 1.5 or 1.75 inches diameter. My buddy had told me this and remarked he probably had come buy my shop and tried selling me tooling.. he be out of jail by now , or died of old age..
              I noticed an Evan post below. . I guess they did not all erase.

Comment

• FYI? You two have left the trail. JR

Comment

• I know this is an old thread, but it's an interesting topic.

Now, to properly answer, the question must be asked: Famous to us, or famous to the average man on the street?

Sure, WE know if Whitworth and Maudslay and Wilkinson and such, but if you asked the average bloke on the street? Even the average tool-user, like mechanics and engine rebuilders andweldors and such.

It's been my experience that there basically are no "famous machinists". A lot of the answers here, guys like Eli Whitney and Thomas Edison, really weren't machinists. Sure, they knew how to run whatever passed for a milling machine or lathe at the time, but doing so was not their primary- or often even their secondary- jobs. If Edison qualified as the most famous machinist, he'd also qualify as the most famous glassblower, wood turner and photographer.

Ditto the Wright Brothers- they used machine tools, sure, but they were primarily mechanics- literally bicycle repairmen.

DaVinci drew a lot of things, but actually built very few of them. And it'd be hard to call him a machinist when he predated the first machine tools by about 200 years.

So who would the "average man on the street" call the most famous machinist?

Today (unlike thirteen years ago, when this thread started) an argument could be made for YouTube stars- This Old Tony, Abom79, Keith Fenner, et al. Probably more people today have heard of them than Whitworth (well, the man, anyway.)

I suggest empirical testing- ask some people.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                    I know this is an old thread,
                    Doc.
                    Just about dropped my shorts reading that. Old as in what hour? This thread just started man. :} JR

Comment

• Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Just about dropped my shorts reading that. Old as in what hour? This thread just started man. :} JR
                      Look at post #1 in this thread. It's from 2007.

Comment

• Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                        Re-incarnation of a zombie thread.....
                        True, but why is that a problem?
                        I do get it when someone responds to a question that was asked years ago or whatever but in this case, Like Doc and JFL mentioned, this is still an interesting topic for discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                          I suggest empirical testing- ask some people.

Doc.
                          I think Doc nailed it. Those best known today weren't on the radar 13 years ago. The more relevant question becomes who's worthy of the fame?

Like most of any commercial supply chain, its not a vocation that is likely to bring fame. Technical sorts who do become famous get there because of design or invention etc.....or self promotion on you tube.
                          Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-20-2021, 11:08 AM.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

• It's the guy who made the first metal lead screw (cut by hand). Without that, none of what followed was possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by alanganes View Post

True, but why is that a problem?
                              I do get it when someone responds to a question that was asked years ago or whatever but in this case, Like Doc and JFL mentioned, this is still an interesting topic for discussion.
                              It's a damned if ya do - damned if ya don't type thing, Bring up the OP topic again because you either forgot or joined up "just" a decade ago and the hyena's will rip you to shreds because you "didn't use the search button first" ...

Comment

• Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Has the U.S.S. C2H5OH set sail again?

Comment

Working...
                                X