• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Table or Dividing Head???

Both are on sale right now from Enco and include free UPS shipping

8" Horizontal RT= 174

7 7/8" DH= 244

The Div. Head comes with tailstock and dividing plates.

Most common divisions would be 4 and 5
    (making holes 90آ° apart and 72آ° apart)

I'm guessing that I'd probebly want one of each, but I can only afford one right now.

Thanks

Notice that a dividing head and a horizontal rotary table each address a different axis. I'd opt for a horizontal/vertical rotary table, I think, if I had to get just one thing.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

if you're only doing holes on a face of a diameter or plate then I would (and have) learn trig a lot cheeper then a rotary table and easier and faster to work with.
      but if you have to put holes in a part around the circumference then you need a dividing head or rotary table.
      I have a rotary table but only use it for cutting the odd ball radius, never to dial off holes
      Kerry
      Rule #1 be 10% smarter then what you\'re working on.
      Rule #2 see Rule #1

Comment

Mueller:
        The dividing head is handier for things like cutting gears or making custom tools. But you can use a tailstock with a horzontal/vertical table to do the same thing - it just is more inconvienient and more work. A table is handy for large jobs, like spoking a flywheel, or making slotted faceplates, drilling bolt circles, etc..

It depends on what you plan on doing with it. Buy a table and then make a dividing head with it!

Comment

Anyone here made the little dividing head in Phillip Duclos' "Shop Wisdom" book? Cuter'n a bug's ear! It's another of those projects I'd like to try one of these days. (when I save up enough roundtoits' )
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I made it several years ago. Have made a few gears with it and a set if indexing plates for a larger dividing head.
            Have it on display on windowsill.
            Jim H.

Comment

lynn

I almost snagged a genuine Emco 4" (with all the goodies) for my Maximat 7, but some mean person paid $300 for it.

They made a hydraulic tracer for my Maximat 7, but I have never seen one yet. (That would be fun!)

Comment

evilBay has a bunch of 4" rotary tables in the 70 to 80 dollar range....

I think I'm going to hold out for an 8" H/V rotary table with all the goodies. Once Enco has another free shipping deal I might get it.

Right now they are only doing UPS sized packages for free and the frieght for a R/T would be 76.00 right now via truck...too much !!!

Comment

Our UPS driver said they raised the upper weight limit to 150 lb. Maybe this will help with the shipping cost.
                  Gerry

Comment

Working...
                  X