2MT End mill holder for 5/16" mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2MT End mill holder for 5/16" mill?

I would like to locate a 2MT end mill holder for a 5/16" end mill. The idea is to grind a flat on a center drill and keep it installed in the holder to use in my lathe instead of the obligatory drill chuck. Seems to me it would be more accurate and much easier to just pop it in there when I need to drill a starter hole.

I've checked with all my usual suspects but can't find one. Anybody seen one anywhere?

Option 2 is to use the 2MT adapter I already have for a 3/8" end mill and make a bushing to sleeve it down to 5/16" but I'd rather get a pre-made one to (hopefully) insure it's accuracy.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Get a 2 MT blank and sock it into the tail stock. Put a drill in a collet or 4 jaw, and drill the blank, then bore true, finally ream to size (or use boring head in chuck). Mark blank for orientation and you've got a perfectly aligned holder after adding a set screw. No need to harden since you wont' be taking it in and out...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Or make your own as I did, using the compound to turn the taper.

Comment

Thanks gents, great tips!

Al, did you cut a fairly long taper with your compound....say 3" or so or did you make a stubby one? I haven't had a lot of success with longish taper cutting with my compound.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

here is a set of seven mt2 collets.
          http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1752

They also have individuals
          Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Those need a draw bar and so won't work in a typical lathe tailstock.
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

If you are going to make one, then make a long one. It needs to be as long as your tailstock chuck with a common sized drill in it.

Do this and when you swap over from center drill to chuck you won't have to move the tailstock too much.

The very first one I made I used a short, off the shelf morse blank and found in a lot of cases I'd run out of tailstock travel before I got close to the work depending on what tools were in the toolpost as that didn't allow the tailstock to get close.

I now have three for each lathe, small, medium and large, saves a lot of time.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Hmm, not sure I follow on that. Unless you have a stub on both the chuck and the center/spot drill holder, aren't you going to have to pull the tailstock back anyway just to get the next tool in the bore? I know I pretty much always have to on mine. If I gotta move it an inch, I would just about as soon move it 3 inches...
                Russ
                Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Working...
                X