X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan
    Not around my place.

Still works.

I wondered where my Hallicrafters had got to... Still have the type 80 power tube?

Comment

Nice picture of the Hallicrafters. I have a couple of Hallicrafters, a couple of R-390's, some Drake rigs, and other stuff I forgot what I have.

Comment

I still use my Grundig-Majestic radio with
        Am/Fm/LongWave/3 shortwave bands.
        A few years ago I had to find a tube tester ..wow was that a job.
        Then I went online and bought a dozen tubes to replace some of the 22 in the radio.
        Guess where they all came from ?....Russia..
        but they worked.. must still have a lot of tubes there
        Rich
        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Tubes are still made in Russia, and china. They used to be made elsewhere as well, Jugoslavia, for instance, but I think the Serb/Croat thing killed production there.

I believe the article linked states that tin whiskering is not as active by far with lead-containing solder alloys. It may not happen at all.

So old tin-lead solder probably will never grow whiskers.

For sure, it is FAR less likely to crack as the brittle lead-free types do.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

I have tubes, some new in the box as in more than I care to count.

Comment

Quite a few years ago I replaced the 80 with silicon diodes and also replaced most of the paper capacitors. That radio was my Dad's and I used it as a child to listen to everything I could find. It is still more sensitive than my Yaesu FRG 7700 although the image rejection sucks.

I still have the 80 and a number of other spare tubes.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
              X