Weekend Project.... Machine Skates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Project.... Machine Skates.

Well been busy working and still not had time to pick up the sheldon's. But as they say "Make hay while the sun shines". So mentioned in the earlier post they where in tight with other stuff around them and I had to build something to help me move them to the doors so I can crane them on to the truck. Pallet jack would not work... pipe would not either. So after abit of thought... well I build these. They are an 8 wheeled skate with a swivel pad that rotate on 100 or so steel balls that can be locked out. Two pull and control handles. Built them on the fly from my mind... no fancy program... spread sheets or legal consolation.

Over all group shot.

Glamer shot.

Will let you know how they work sometime this week.

Edited to make photo's a bit smaller in width.
    Last edited by Tinkerer; 08-08-2007, 12:13 AM.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Nice job! What did you use for the wheels?

There was a thread awhile ago on PM where someone posted plans for machinery skates, and they used giant ball bearings -- in other words, the skates ran on the outer races. The problem that I had was that the bearings were expensive as Hell.

Also, is that top swivel pad a steel plate with a rubber pad on top?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The wheels are 1.25 steel bar. Yes the steel swivel has diamond grid rubber bonded to them. I figure for the home shop guy these will work just fine for a looong time. Showed them to my bud who runs a real machine shop... He said I over engineered them and they'd easily handle any of his mills.
      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Do you have a system to link two together so they don't go different directions?

I made some a while back also, but I haven't got a good adjustable link for them.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I can lock the swivels so they can't and will use a clamp bar to lock the rear skates in parallel. But have plans to make a base clamp to allow each skate to be secured to the machines base as well. But that will be after I get my lathes home.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
            Do you have a system to link two together so they don't go different directions?.
            Do the GKS skates have that (a way to link them together)?
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I believe so.... a bar for linking the rear ones and a tow-bar for the front one.

Three are less stable, but at least three are always loaded, and the machine won't lift off of one of them on an uneven floor.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Ball bearings may make swiveling a bit too loose. I used some Multiton skates I borrowed when I jockied my lathe into place. They were not originally the type with swivel plates so someone made some aluminum plates that sit on top with a couple of maybe 5" diameter brass shims to serve as sort of washers between the plate and the top of the skate. A little grease between the layers and you can pivot things OK. On the other hand, they don't swivel too easily, so being able to tie them in position was not particularly necessary. It is true, however, that if you pivot one at something other than the direction the other rollers are pointing, that skate will pivot around sideways. Wide rollers tend to want to pull the direction they are pointed and they all need to be pointed the same before you begin to move.

A center pin (3/8 threaded rod) holds the swivel plates in place. You set the machine on the skate with this pin in whatever mounting holes are in the machine base and the skates cannot slip out. The picture below shows the skates and you can see where the plate used to spin. The plate and center pin were removed temporarily so I could clean them up and make them work more smoothly.

They did not work well however, with my Bridgeport mill and its hollow base. I used pipe rollers there.

Paul
                Paul Carpenter
                Mapleton, IL

Comment

Watching professional riggers move large equipment around is a real treat. They've got a sense of where a skate should be placed and what direction is should point compared to others to swivel a large box around and get it where they want to go. It wasn't the way I would have placed things but it worked slicker than (use your favorite word here) on a glass door knob and they had only inches to spare getting through the opening. Placement was often not symmetrical, and they never tied any two together. I can't remember now whether these had swivels on top or not. They may have just jacked up enough to pivot a skate when they needed to and let the ordinary friction keep it lined up.

Very nice looking set, by the way. A well spent weekend.
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Tinkerer,

I borrowed a set of skates a couple weeks ago to move some stuff too.

The feeling you get when one skate scoots out from under in some other direction is really something.

That happened on the G & E shaper.

We ended up using three point contact for every thing else.

Here on the lathe, the two skates worked, with pipes on the back end.

On the Fadal, two solid skates, and an adjustable worked out fine.

The adjustable was set on a 4x6 or something.

The turret lathe was two skates and a dolly.

They sure are pretty skates, but use them with care.

Kap

Comment

Kap-- Glad you are getting your new shop together. I cant help but notice your nice painted floor Did you have issues shuffling machines without messing it up? I labored over painting or not and after sliding a few machines around the the hard way and dropping a hammer or two I, figured I would only have been mad at myself every time I scarred it up.

On the other hand, painted floors sure sweep up nicely.

I also noticed the secondary slider window above your single or double hungs. That's a nice idea that seems very similar to the transom windows you saw in old houses or buildings. They are up near the ceiling to let out heat in warm weather. They give you a more secure way of leaving a window open overnight, too. Neat idea.

I think a guy should get to build his dream shop twice. Even after a lot of thinking, I did things that I would do differently the next time and thought of some things after the fact.

Paul
                      Paul Carpenter
                      Mapleton, IL

Comment

Kap,
                        I have a similar style metal building. Are those windows made specifically for metal buildings or are they just generic ones from a home center? I'm wonder on how to make a weather tight seal between metal siding and the window frame.

Tinkerer, sorry to hijack your thread.
                        No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Be carefull so that the above does not happen to you guys. My friend had moved into another home and was moving the lathe by himself, not a good idea.
                          When it fell it caught and pinned his arm to the floor. It did not break anything but did do some damage to him, the lathe was ok. Lucky he had a contractor putting in some windows and heard the yell and managed to lift the lathe enough so that Don could get free.
                          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Ouch! Glad he was ok, could have been bad. And if he's like me, I bet his first concern was for that (seemingly) nice Rockwell!
                            Russ
                            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Well about caught up with jobs that needed to be handled.

Pcarpenter... Ball bearings may make swiveling a bit too loose.
                              I have enough per load that they'll move smoothly with some drag. But I can control the per load and apply enough drag to make the swivels almost non working if needed. But with the lock out in place it's not an issue.

Kap... Nice shop you have there. As for the plan I already had in mind only using three points to move these. But thanks for the heads up anyway.

Halac.. They make a Z trim piece for the top and bottom around your casing and just seal the sides with caulking. Check with any lumber yard they should have them.

charlie coghill... I remember that but can not recall his method to move it. I've been planning this move for a bit. When option A did not pan out I came up with plan B as seen above. And I made the skates with as low a profile as I could. I'll be able to have the levelers just a off the ground. All should go well but I would not think of a move like this solo.

Comment

Working...
                              X