Enco spindle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enco spindle thread

I would appreciate some help. I have an Enco 12" X 36" bench lathe, model #110-2079. There is a thread cut into the ID of the left end of the spindle (non chuck end). I can't get any of my gages to fit into it well. I called Enco and they say it's a thread put into the spindle for mfg. purposes.

They get regular calls about this but cannot tell me what thread it is. They do say that gun smiths use this thread for their spiders. I have no idea what a spider is but was hoping a gun smith on this forum might have one of these lathes and knows what this thread diameter and pitch might be.

The spindle bore is 38mm so I would assume the major diameter will be 40MM unless it's a complete Bas***rd.

Vern

Vern, that's a good question. I'd like to know too.

I have a Hare & Forbes AL-330A which I'm sure is the same machine.

Chris
    Brisbane Australia.

Comment

I am guessing here, but have you tried Metric thread gauges? Gary P. Hansen
      In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Metric

Deleted/edited-out
        Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-18-2007, 01:34 AM.

Comment

I tried metric as well as Whitworth gages, didn't try imperial, never thought it could possible be imperial. The guy at Enco said about half the minor diameter of the thread is removed as part of the mfg. process. Even so, some gage should line up with the remaining thread depths. His suggestion was to try threads until I find one that works.

My machine was definitely built in china, not the Republic of. I can probably find other identifying markings if someone thinks that have a clone just under a different name.

Thanks for the efforts to date.

Vern
          Last edited by Vern Smith; 08-09-2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

If you can thread something onto it, you can make a "spider" which is a tube with 4 screws in it that allow holding and centering something extending thru the spindle. Like a 4 jaw, sort of, with the screws as the "jaws".

I have seen them called "catheads", and "pot chucks" also.

Much nicer if the screw threads were on the OD, although you might use them for a self-ejecting drawbar, as well.

No clue about the thread, but is is almost certainly a standard pitch, although probably a non-standard diameter.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 08-09-2007, 11:38 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Vern,

Mine is a horrible fright 12 x 36.

Spindle plug I made for mine, 1.625" OD.

16 T.P.I.

Cheers,
              Les H.
              The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Hare and Forbes

I rang Hare and Forbes and they went off to measure the thread and call me back.
                They said that it is not a Metric thread and has the same TPI as 3/8" BSW (British Standard Whitworth) 55 degree pitch 16 TPI.
                In otherwords, a Mongrel thread.

Rgds
                Michael

Australia

Comment

The 16 TPI Whitworth is a pretty good match, now I have to find a 55 degree threading tool. Why would our Asian friends use a Whitworth thread? To further complicate the issue the forward/reverse switch went toes up this morning.

Thanks for all the help.

Vern

Comment

16 TPI = 1/16" pitch
                    could it be 1.5mm pitch which is very close to .060"????????????

Just wondering of all the possibilities.

Remember Tiawan used to be British.

My Tiawan milldrill is a mixture of metric, whitworth and American fasteners.

Graeme

Comment

Taiwan?

"Remember Tiawan used to be British."

Are you thinking of Hong Kong?

Rgds
                      Michael

Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Vern Smith
                        I would appreciate some help. I have an Enco 12" X 36" bench lathe, model #110-2079. There is a thread cut into the ID of the left end of the spindle (non chuck end). I can't get any of my gages to fit into it well. I called Enco and they say it's a thread put into the spindle for mfg. purposes.

They get regular calls about this but cannot tell me what thread it is. They do say that gun smiths use this thread for their spiders. I have no idea what a spider is but was hoping a gun smith on this forum might have one of these lathes and knows what this thread diameter and pitch might be.

The spindle bore is 38mm so I would assume the major diameter will be 40MM unless it's a complete Bas***rd.

Vern
                        I have a Grizzly basically the same. As stated in other posts a spider works there but it will also be used for a collet lever closer. The adapter threads on it. May be for other stuff but these 2 for sure.
                        Life Is Grand

Comment

Spider

Can't wait forever for the Spider pictures!

This will have to do in the interim.

Rgds
                          Michael

Australia

Comment

Yours? What did you name him, Harry?
                            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Ouch

Deleted/edited-out
                              Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-18-2007, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X