Watch your Duracell batteries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch your Duracell batteries.

I bought a cordless keyboard and mouse 3 weeks. The mouse stopped and the AA batteries were the problem. The date code was 2013. The battery measured .85 volts. I wonder where they were made.

China........................where else?

Comment

Had D size leak all over one of the aluminum 4 cell lights they weren't that old and were still working(bright light) when I checked the batteries. They are frozen in there good.I don't like the Durall cells. they don't seem to last as long as the others.
      Anybody have some magic formula to pour down in the tube to loosen the batteries up have been able to only chip out one so far.
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Buy Rayovac. I get the 20 packs of AAA here for $3. Made in Madison, Wisconsin. Not just the batteries either, they make all their flashlights etc in the USA.

Anybody have some magic formula to pour down in the tube to loosen the batteries up have been able to only chip out one so far
        Try vinegar.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Is there any truth to the statement about Duracells being made in China, or did I misunderstand what you said?
          Triple A's were being made in west Ga last I heard.
          David from jax
          A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by PTSideshow
            Anybody have some magic formula to pour down in the tube to loosen the batteries up have been able to only chip out one so far.

I have found if you mix baking soda with hot water and pour it on the affected area it dissolve it. Hope this helps.

Comment

Mike,
              I think you are going to find that the mouse batteries will need frequent replacement, especially where and dependant upon using the computer a lot, like most of us today. About 3 sometimes 4 weeks and mine go bad as well.

Comment

Are they counterfeit Duracells? Where did you buy them?
                I've heard that it's pretty common to find counterfeit Duracells at the Dollar Stores...

I just checked a bunch of the Duracells I buy from Costco, and all sizes are marked "Made in USA."

I also checked some Rayovacs I have, and like Evan said, they're also marked "Made in USA."
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                  Mike,
                  I think you are going to find that the mouse batteries will need frequent replacement, especially where and dependant upon using the computer a lot, like most of us today. About 3 sometimes 4 weeks and mine go bad as well.
                  I have hardly (none) any computer expertise. This is agreed with by several of my co-workers whom use cordless mice, regardless of battery brand. They have said that using the mouse on a bright surface as opposed to a dark one should give you a slight increase in battery life. Something about the mouse not having to "work" as hard to reflect the laser or LED light beam. If the battery life increase is significant enough to warrant changing your set up...??worth a try??

BTW, my digital camera which gets hardly any use, seems to need new batteries any and every time I try to use it.
                  Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

ER may have a valid suggestion. Most of the battery powered optical mice have a variable intensity system for the LED. It is possible that the surface reflectivity could influence battery life.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

LaGrange, Ga is where they were making the AAA batteries. They make different sizes in Cleveland, Tn and I think right outside Brooksville, In.
                      David from jax
                      A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Watch your Duracell batteries.

Originally posted by PTSideshow
                        Had D size leak all over one of the aluminum 4 cell lights they weren't that old and were still working(bright light) when I checked the batteries. They are frozen in there good.I don't like the Durall cells. they don't seem to last as long as the others.

I found that a little CLR or Limeaway will remove the crystaline goo that comes out of alkeline batteries and does not seem to hurt the surrounding metal parts. They will discolor a little but can be polished back bright.
                        Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

PTsideshow-- I had the same problem once and ended up disassembling the Mag lite completely. Mine was a 3 d cell. You pull the head assembly off, remove the but cap, remove the rubber cover over the switch and as I recall you reach down through the center of the switch with a small hex wrench and remove a set screw that wedges the switch assembly in place in the center of the bore.

I was then able to use a hammer and a big dowel to drive out the corroded batteries. I cleaned out the bore with a mild acid and a brush as I recall, but you don't want to leave it sit too long.....more brush, less acid

I then found some plastic tube that would fit down the outside. The batteries now go in that sleeve. Come to think of it, I have at least three of the D-cell models. I ought to give the other two the sleeve treatment *before* they leak. At least one or two of them sit unused most of the time.

Paul
                          Paul Carpenter
                          Mapleton, IL

Comment

I did some testing on my mouse. If I don't touch the mouse, the current is about .7 ma. If I move the mouse all over the place, I saw a peak of 42 ma.

The old Duracell that failed was labeled:
                            Made in China, not for resale, for OEM only. There was mfg 2007/05 on it. The big tag was march, 2013. There was also a couple of Chinese characters.
                            Last edited by Mike W; 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM.

Comment

As others have said, Duracell batteries are made in the USA. At work we've built and supplied processing equipment to them over the last 15 years or so. Periodically we get in parts to rebuild.

For the first project their top brass wanted to see a scale model of not only our equipment, but of the whole system. Three of us spent several weeks building up the model - it turned out pretty cool. Top brass had no problem visualizing the setup after that and the project was given the green light. Last I heard the model was still being prominently displayed.

Wish we'd get to do more of that stuff again!
                              Tom

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

Working...
                              X