Chinese vs American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese vs American

Bottom bolt is Chinese made (from Enco scissors knurler).
    Top bolt is American made (by an amateur) replacement.

BTW does any one know why they are called stripper bolts?
    Last edited by joahmon; 08-10-2007, 09:02 PM.

A stripper plate is a part of a die that removes the part from the die. it rides on springs and is guided by stripper bolts. This is the short answer. Sometimes called shoulder bolts.

Comment

A nice bolt, what did you color it with?

TC
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

now make 49,999 more and sell them for $.02 each.
        "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

I set up my Harbor Freight Baldor grinder clone last weekend, and I got a laugh out of the bolts that hold the plate-mounted grinding wheels to the grinder: they're made from aluminum, and the hex head has been hand-punched into the heads.

Not a single bolt has the hex recess centered...
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Hexes

Hexes, Hexes, some of the wheel mounting bolts on mine didn't have complete threads. Completely bare on one side, and some threads on the other. Ended up completely replacing all of the screws on the grinder.

jack
            jack

Comment

Where did you get the replacement bolts Jack?

It looks like they're 8mm x 1.25mm thread, with a big head. I can't find those anywhere!

I'd also like to get some 8mm x 1.25mm 90° flat-head screws for one side -- the diamond mounted wheels I have all use 90° counter-sunk bolt holes, so the stock bolts (with a square shoulder) won't fit.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by speedsport
                now make 49,999 more and sell them for $.02 each.
                Ironic and nutty, but funny.

Comment

Originally posted by rotate
                  Ironic and nutty, but funny.
                  And unfortunately for many businesses, true.

Comment

The interesting thing is the Chinese can make much better equipment than that and do, but there doesn't seem to be as much of a market for it as there is for this junk.

Comment

10mm x 5mm shoulder bolts

lazlo,

They were 10mm x 5mm shoulder bolts, with 8mm x 1.25mm threads. I had to special order them from Rumetco Sales in Syracuse, NY, they came from Switzerland, about a 4 week wait (in 2004), had to buy 25 of them, about $20.00 for the bolts, and about $25.00 for shipping. On the second grinder, I just used the 8mm x 1.25mm x 12mm flat head allen bolts ( readily available for about $.20 each) for all of the wheels, 90 degree countersink fits perfectly in the recess for the metric shoulder bolts, perfect alignment and holds the wheels tight, after 2 years, no problems, use the grinder all the time.

jack
                      jack

Comment

You would think by now. Most of you would quit buying this Chinese junk.Are at least quit bitching about it.
                        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Chinese junk???

Two points.

The Chinese are on a learning curve, like the Japanese were 50 years ago. In the 50s, most stuff from Japan was referred to as 'jap crap', and it really was low quality poor imitation stuff. By the mid 60's the attitude had changed to 'ooh its Japanese it must be good'.

The really low quality Chinese machine tools etc would still be in China and not causing us any problems if it were not for the AUSTRALIAN, ENGLISH and AMERICAN importers who seek to profit from that junk.

Comment

Originally posted by bob ward

The really low quality Chinese machine tools etc would still be in China and not causing us any problems if it were not for the AUSTRALIAN, ENGLISH and AMERICAN importers who seek to profit from that junk.
                            Third point: Those importers would be SOL if it weren't for customers shelling out for that same junk. It's like any business - if there's no customers there's no business. Turns out there's no shortage of folks willing to buy that stuff. As Dennis Miller might say, "I'm going to go ahead and blame the buyer".

Comment

I must have taken the "lane" pledge today , I was at local mall and the Homier tent tools sale was there, I went and looked around for a while they had several generators some nice size ones diesel,and gas, I heard a couple generators running so i walked behind the trailer to see what they were using,
                              i got a big smile as saw 2 dewalt construction generators running , i guess they can sell them but dont want to use them,
                              scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Comment

Working...
                              X