OT eBay bans gun items!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT eBay bans gun items!

Ok I know we had a long run about gun control some time ago but this is not what I want to bring up.
    I have been selling my gun sight tools on eBay very successfully for a month or so now. After being informed about this I am not sure if they will also ban tools but no matter as no gun buyers will be at eBay anymore.

I need to find a new online market. Do any of you guys know of other sites that sell and/or auction firearms.

I know many here are gunsmiths and may have a few suggestions for me.

I guess looking at the positive side for me I will have some extra time now as I will not have to spend every minute in the shop cranking out tools.

Sorry I did not see YOD posted about this already. See I have been head first in the shop so much I have not had time to visit here. I could still use names of other sites though if you guys know any.
    Last edited by cybor462; 08-11-2007, 01:00 AM.
    Life Is Grand

It is rather trivial these days to open your own Internet store. If you have a good product and are clever about taking advantage of Google and other search engines, and participate in well-known online groups you can do rather well. It's like any other store though; It's a lot of work.

Comment

dp...I do have a website but that is one of the things I am not good with. It has been up for a year and so far it has 600 hits, I started the counter with 250 so that tells you I have no clue how to promote it or get it noticed in the search engines. I tried asking some I know with websites to give me a few tips and if they would be so kind to exchange links but no takers to date. I am told that they do not know how they have become successful with their sites other than with high traffic.

No one will tell me the secret to attract traffic. I did list with the top engines and even paid for a supposed top slot which I never got it seems. I no longer will just throw money at it.

I guess I thought if I could become known using another venue I would eventually drive traffic to the site by marketing the company as I have been using the sales. I include business cards and also website address is on every invoice, receipt, and also email sig lines.

If eBay would have continued I would have used it to promote my site and it would have worked from there.

My plan is to find a way to promote it or continue to use other sites. I have alway followed suggestions on how to do it but so far it has not moved. Of course it really has not had a chance yet. I have been promting it for a month via sales so that is not long enough.

Again if any know of other sites that might work let me know.
      Life Is Grand

Comment

Post the address to your site and I'll see if there are things that can be done to improve the search ranking.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

"Klem"

As we discussed in my shop the other week find out where the gun guys hangout on the web ie forums, join said forums and place some ads in the for sale area. No ebay or auction fees from other sites, save that money and place a sponsor ad on the forum website? Go to gun shows and setup a table, once the gun buyers see what you sell word-of-mouth will sell your product.

I would not spend any money to have my website listed in a search engine, someone has to know what they are searching for to find you and if they already know what they are looking for then they more than likely know you sell it.

I market my niche flowbench products by having my own forum. The forum came first and I added product as the market dictated, I am getting an average of 300 hits a day now and I never bought advertisement on Yahoo or Google but the search engine BOTS crawl my site daily now.

Using free forum software anyone can setup a forum on their website, once it's setup it takes a little "housekeeping" which is not that hard. I'd say my yearly cost to run a business website is less than $200 a year.
          "There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.flowbenchtech.com

Comment

I agree with brucepts, with the exception, unless you can spend a lot of money with professional search engine ranking company.

Good rankings can be done spending no more than time.
            Here is one snippet of one of my web sites pages html code, clearly part of any good ranking sucess, with at least Google.
            <title>Hi-Point Accessories (Full line at Best prices, check us out and see!)</title>
            <meta name=
            "Discription" content="Hi-point accessories in stock.">
            <meta name=
            "keywords" content="hipoint, hi-point, hi point,hi-point high capacity mags, hi point 15 round maga, hi point accessories, hi-point accessories, 995b, 4095b, hi-point carbine, swatforce reddot">

If you type in the Google search engine "Hi-Point accessories" you will see that my site is number one. I do not hold the number one position on all the products for sure but a few and also on the first page with many.
            The above snippet does not guarantee best rankings but is part of it. Getting your site URL listed on as many other related forums is also a help.
            Do not get cute with keywords, they need to be specifically relevant to your particular page, get deceptive in there use and Google can/will block the site in the rankings, with no warning.. The pages keywords, also should be used where appropriate in that pages text.

I sure am no expert when it comes to much of anything but good rankings can be done on the cheap, as my site proves, it does take time, a lot of it and the willingness to research for other help.
            Let me add that web sites take a lot more work that one would at first imagine.

I see with my post that more keywords need added

Comment

Originally posted by brucepts
              "Klem"

As we discussed in my shop the other week find out where the gun guys hangout on the web ie forums, join said forums and place some ads in the for sale area. No ebay or auction fees from other sites, save that money and place a sponsor ad on the forum website? Go to gun shows and setup a table, once the gun buyers see what you sell word-of-mouth will sell your product.
              Heah Bruce.. what did I do to rise you from lurker status
              I have implemented your advise. I have a fellow in GA that sells sights that wants to sell at the shows. It is slow but I am muggling along. I have a forum section on my website but have yet to figure it out. Can't login to it or edit it to make it work.

This eBay thing hurt a bit. If nothing else it will force me to find other ways.

Evan...Here is the link...you will see just how inept I am with websites so do not laugh out loud just hold it in..
              http://www.nicholsonperformance.com/

Ken.. lets hear back from Evan,,I may have used the keywords in the wrong way. I was told one time to put any relevant words in as tags that will produce results. This from a guy that tried to sell me his services to promote my site for 100.00 a month. I said...........NOT
              Life Is Grand

Comment

Duplicate post

Comment

To answer your orignal question, I only know of the obvious firearms auction sites:

www.gunbroker.com

www.auctionarms.com

I've used gunbroker once before, as a buyer, works just like ebay.

Comment

Cyber462,
                    There are multiple schools of thought on most any subject.
                    Search rankings are of course not spared, they are almost mystical and the best approach for good rankings have become heated debates, in actuality, the best approach/s are only known by the search engines, and even their methods are changed to cloud the methodology.

I prefer to apply (in this case) what seems to work over what is argued.

BTW, I like your site, very nice and clean, and yes there are some improvement that could be applied to your meta tags, but that is for the experts

Ken

Comment

Klem - you need to grow your product list. Add some stuff you don't build such as this: http://www.newmantools.com/wfmc.htm

One of the best purchases I ever made for working on my Harley at home and especially on the road. Anyone who has a bike and doesn't have a full set of these tools isn't finished tooling up!

And despite my advanced age even I don't need text that large I think too I'd change the topic from handguns to handgun tools and include a good set of screw drivers made for the purpose. So many guns are disfigured by folks using inappropriate drivers, and the right tools can be difficult to locate.

There was a spoof radio advertisement run by a local station where the advertiser is "Spatula City" where they sell spatulas and that's all. I think in today's market you need a bit broader product line. There are free software products such as osCommerce http://oscommerce.com/ that are complete store fronts with credit card and inventory support built in and which help create a full-feature on-line store. Just find a host for it, populate it, spread the word, and go to the bank.

Comment

Just find a host for it, populate it, spread the word, and go to the bank.

In a perfect world maybe

Comment

+1 for gunbroker.

LARGE site has "just about" anything you need, ALOT of members (prob the most visited of the gun auction site)

easy to buy- easy to sell (cheaper than egay too!!)

down side (for sellers): not as many idiots to drive the price up to 3x what it should be on like on egay.

BUT, now that they wont be on ebay, maybe the idiots will go to gunbroker too!!!

Comment

Google doesn't use meta tags at all to rank pages or to search for things. It ignores the keyword tags.

I'll have a look and see if there is anything that can be improved.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                              Just find a host for it, populate it, spread the word, and go to the bank.

In a perfect world maybe
                              Nope - a friend is doing this: http://www.intotheoven.com/ and doing very well. Simple stuff but apparently very popular.

Comment

Working...
                              X