home shop machinists in the movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tinkerer
    Ok I remember seeing a movie along time ago... can't remember the name but always remembered the plot. Seems and Older Gent was a maintenance man for a tenant building in a declining area of a city... ....................... Anyone else recall seeing this movie?
    I do recall that movie, It was called Siege, and was, I think, made-for-tv. It was a very 70's movie, with a black super-villian (Darion Harewood), inept cops, and elderly residents living in a ghetto/urban blight setting. Martin Balsam was the hero. It comes around every once in a while, like on the Lifetime channel or similar.

Gary
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Hell Drivers 1957

brilliant film ...
      in one seen a lathe gets totalled after being used as an anchor to stop truck leaving garage.

all the best.mark

Comment

Originally posted by goose
        I do recall that movie, It was called Siege, and was, I think, made-for-tv. It was a very 70's movie, with a black super-villian (Darion Harewood), inept cops, and elderly residents living in a ghetto/urban blight setting. Martin Balsam was the hero. It comes around every once in a while, like on the Lifetime channel or similar.

Gary
        Gary first off... Welcome. Yes that is it... Thanks.
        Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

TV movie- The Homecoming(The Waltons). John Walton was a machinist.Tried to get John Boy interested.

Comment

Ok I remember seeing a movie along time ago... can't remember the name but always remembered the plot. Seems and Older Gent was a maintenance man for a tenant building in a declining area of a city... that had been targeted by a scumbag that had everyone afraid of him. One day the Old Guy sees the scumbag attacking a lady and tries to intercede. He grabs the scumbag from behind but was unable to hang on to him... but does stop attack SB runs away yelling how he'd get the Old Guy for interfering. So for the next bit of the movie they show him in his work shop making a set of metal armlets with eyes and clasps that went along with a leather vest and some cabling. Move forward shows Old guy walking with tench coat on rainy sidewalks with scumbag lurking in alley waiting to get Old Guy... scumbag comes out of shadows and confronts him... taunts him about dying and stabs Old Guy. But to his surprise the Old Guy bear hugs scumbag and locks up armlets trapping scumbag till cops show up. Old Guy loaded into ambulance.. Roll credits. Anyone else recall seeing this movie?

Yes I saw that movie but can no remember who or when might have been on TV
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

The bad guys in the Mad Max series.

And Artemus Gordon of Wild Wild West fame.

Newly in Gunsmoke

Comment

Gary first off... Welcome.
                Thank you!

Another movie - (albeit a pretty bad one), Flashdance - the girl did welding as her day job...

Gary
                Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

I don't know the name but there was a movie where a guy lost his family to some type of road rage, built a armor plated 4 X 4 with a remote control harpoon gun that would shoot and drag in cars where he would Kick their butts.

It was a good movie 25 years old or so..

Comment

The movie October Sky has a older Polish machinist helping some young men make rocket nozzles. Even has some working shots. I just watched Chain Reaction last weekend and old Keanu leaves his lathe unattended but running in most of the scenes...

Comment

Originally posted by mjydrafter
                      Polish machinist helping some young men make rocket nozzles.

There's a joke in there somewhere...

Comment

Not home shop machining, but there was a good (but bleak) 1960 film called 'The Angry Silence' starring a Richard Attenborough. About striking, blacklegging and being 'sent to Coventry' in an engineering works. A fair bit of machining going on, and young Dicky seemed to know what levers to operate on a vertical boring mill. I believe the machine shop shots were filmed in the works of Reavell Ltd., Ipswich.

Comment

Ok I remember seeing a movie along time ago... can't remember the name but always remembered the plot. Seems and Older Gent was a maintenance man for a tenant building in a declining area of a city... that had been targeted by a scumbag....Old Guy loaded into ambulance.. Roll credits. Anyone else recall seeing this movie?
                          Yeah, I saw that. Martin Balsam was the Old Guy, a character actor who looked like Ernest Borgnine (but wasn't) and the scumbag looked like Denzel Washington (but wasn't) - Dorian Harewood sounds right - was a 'white fright' movie. Was around 1973 or so because it was after my dad passed away - I remember because he would have liked it and I know we didn't watch it together.

Bogart fixed a prop in African Queen - might not count as he supposedly forge welded the pieces together - more blacksmithing than machining.

"Carbine Williams" was the one I liked best for machining - it was also about my other favorite subject - gunsmithing.
                          Last edited by HWooldridge; 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM.

Comment

October Sky

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                            There's a joke in there somewhere...
                            That was a true story that 1 of the original USA astronauts wrote of growing up in a mine town in Va. His father decided if he couldn't get the kid to stop messing around with rockets might as well learn how to do the work building real ones. The father was a mine administrator. Made the kid work in the machine shop to keep him out of the mine. The old Polish machinist was the mentor. It is a good book.

mark61

Comment

The Sand Pebbles

Jake Holman (Steve McQueen) is an engine room chief in this 1966 movie (which features Candice Bergen, quite stunning). Jake's not an "inventor/modeler/machinist," but he knows his three-cylinder engine room from boilers to bilge. I don't recall any movie showing better naval machinery in action. The author of the book on which the movie is based was an ship's engineer, and he wrote what he knew.
                              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Well, there's the gunmsith Cyril Cusack in "Day of the Jackal". Plus Edward Fox does a not bad roadside piece of smuggling work to get the rifle built into a crutch of all things into la belle France. How about the CNC operations in the credits of "Short Circuit"
                                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                                X