home shop machinists in the movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie Machnists

Keanu Reeves played a machinist of sorts in Chain Reaction a 1996 movie.

Errol Groff
    Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
    http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

October Sky was written by Homer Hickam who was from Coalwood, West Virginia. The story is about how he and his friends designed and developed a model rocket ... They won the National Science Award and scholarships to college. Homer became a NASA engineer and helped train the astronauts.

Thomas

Comment

Technicaly the book was originally released as "Rocket Boys" and then they made the movie. They re-released the book as "October Skies" like a year later or something.

Comment

Movie Machnists and Tinkerers

You guys have missed the greatest of all movie machinists. Wallace and Grommit are the class of the field when it comes to machining and tinkering.

Errol Groff
          Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
          http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

James Doohan, aka Chief Engineer Scotty in Star Trek. Born in Vancouver, BC 1920, died in 2005. Had honorary degree in Engineering, one hobby was reading technical manuals. Attended Sarnia Collegiate Institute and Technical School in Ontario. I don't know for sure but would be very surprised if he never used a machine tool, especially at the trade school. Used to say "Scotty is ninety-nine percent James Doohan and one percent accent."
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Too right, Errol!

Video clips here:-

http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/watch/

If you play 'A Grand Day Out: Building the Rocket' you can see Gromit's hammering, welding and drilling skills.

Comment

OH MY GOSH i can't believe i forgot wallace and grommet! What great characters ... just watched the wererabbit movie a few weeks ago.

Comment

Re: Homer Hickam

He was an professional acquaintance of my father. He was also my SCUBA diving instructor. He and my father both did work in the Neutral Buoyancy Simulator (NBS) at Marshall Space Flight Center. Swell guy, but definitely not an astronaut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    James Doohan, aka Chief Engineer Scotty in Star Trek. Born in Vancouver, BC 1920, died in 2005. Had honorary degree in Engineering, one hobby was reading technical manuals. Attended Sarnia Collegiate Institute and Technical School in Ontario. I don't know for sure but would be very surprised if he never used a machine tool, especially at the trade school. Used to say "Scotty is ninety-nine percent James Doohan and one percent accent."

Now that somebody brought up the "trek"

I seen an episode with Data when he was caught back in time and he hand ground a piston on a grinding wheel, (Data could do that)

also seen an episode of Meguyver (sp) where he had two 12 volt batteries (dont know if he had them in series or parrallel) and he was useing them to arc weld a broken connecting rod ------ god what a laugh that was because to put the icing on the cake I think it was for an airplane ...

Comment

A.K.,

If McGyver (?) had one of the Leathermen or similar pocket tools, he would have needed only 1/2 hour per episode, instead of the full hour.

Jack
                      jack

Comment

I dont believe there could have been a show, all the worlds problems would have been solved

Comment

Don't want to rain on your parade AK, but I have done a few welds with 2 12V batteries in parallel.
                          You can comfortably get 150-200 amps for a short time.

They were "get home" jobs, certainly not on aero-engines!
                          Just got my head together
                          now my body's falling apart

Comment

Doohan also was wounded at Dieppe, lost a finger among other things.

You guys have really missed the "boat" on this movie thing, you haven't mentioned " The African Queen".

Comment

Well if your goon mention Wallace and Grommit... CHEEZE Grommit. Then I'll toss in Chicken Run... those chicks build a plane from scrounged goods.
                              Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

just saw one ...
                                guy pulling a DOALL Bridgeport replica mill down a main street ...in David Bowie video for "LETS DANCE"

worth a look ...aprox half way into film if you just skip the droll of it .

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VNpC3RoP4Zw

all the best.mark

Comment

Working...
                                X