No announcement yet.

home shop machinists in the movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember a movie I saw long ago starring Jimmy Stewart, he played either Winchester or Remington, while in prison designed and built the first repeating rifle (out of wood of courtse), then later made the real thing.
    "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Originally posted by speedsport
      I remember a movie I saw long ago starring Jimmy Stewart, he played either Winchester or Remington, while in prison designed and built the first repeating rifle (out of wood of courtse), then later made the real thing.
      i think you're mixing several Stewart movies together. "Winchester 73" is the repeating rifle one, "Carbine Williams" is the one where he built the rifle in prison (the M1 Carbine). both good movies though.

andy b.
      The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by speedsport
        Actually Stewart played David Marshall (Marsh) "Carbine" Williams. What he invented was the short stroke piston and floating chamber principles of firearms actions. He did do this while in prison serving a life sentence for killing a sheriff during a raid on Williams illegal moonshine still. He always maintained he had not fired a shot on that night.
        When he got out of prision he went to work for Winchester after they gained a contract to produce a light carbine for use by persons who's MOS would impact their ability to carry a full sized service rifle, and for whom a pistol might not be enough defense. This was just after he showed his proto type to Congress. Winchester hired him and his design evolved into the M1 .30 Caliber Carbine used extensively in World War II, Korea, and to some extent in Viet Nam. There were about 5 million of them made by nearly a dozen manufacturers during WWII.
        His design was not the first repeating rifle by about 80+ years. But it was the first short stroke piston design. The warden of the prison he was in actually did allow him to make a working proto type out of metal that was fired. The warden also worked to get Williams paroled and finally with the help of the family of the Sheriff he was accused of killing, got the governor to reduce his sentence from life to time served. He was paroled around 1929 if memory serves me.
        Steve
        NRA Life Member

Comment

Carbine Williams,thanks for that,haven't seen that flick in years.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
            Carbine Williams,thanks for that,haven't seen that flick in years.
            I mentioned 'Carbine Williams' in post #23 of this thread on August 13th, two months ago!!!

Malc.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc-Y
              I mentioned 'Carbine Williams' in post #23 of this thread on August 13th, two months ago!!!

Malc.
              I didn't read it two months ago
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I seem to remember something about a movie set in Colditz castle.I can't remember if the "airplane building in the loft" came up or not.I guess you could call that inventing/model building of some sort?
                This was actually a true event,so maybe it wasn't exciting enough for a movie.
                Hans

Comment

Anyone seen a recentish Film called the Prestige starring Christian Bale, Micheal Caine & Scarlet Johanssen. Bale ,who also played 'the machinist' IMS, is seen making props for his magic act:

The Steve McQueen film mentioned above is called the Sand Pebbles I believe also starring Dickie Attenborough. McQueen describes water to a chinese stoker as 'Sleepy Steam'.
                  Last edited by DickDastardly40; 10-14-2007, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Not the hero but the main protagonist in "The Day of the Jackal" Edward Fox does a lot of work on his car to smuggle the rifle into France plus there is a scene with the gunsmith (Cyril Cusack) dicussing the firearm to be built. Into a crutch no less.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069947/
                    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by DickDastardly40
                      Anyone seen a recentish Film called the Prestige starring Christian Bale, Micheal Caine & Scarlet Johanssen. Bale ,who also played 'the machinist' IMS, is seen making props for his magic act:
                      I really admired that machine shop when I saw Prestige. Nice screen grabs (if that's how you got these images). Makes me thing the filmmaker really knows a thing or two about Victorian tooling.
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I think African Queen deserves an honorary nomination. Bogey might not have a full machine shop at his disposal, but he keeps an old steam engine going on lickspittle. And then he manages to convert his river launch into a torpedo boat with the kind of tools I seem to have available at the roadside, more often than not.
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

I really wish you guys would read the whole thread before posting,Not a rant but c'mon guys.

Comment

Originally posted by rohart
                            I think African Queen deserves an honorary nomination. Bogey might not have a full machine shop at his disposal, but he keeps an old steam engine going on lickspittle.
                            I'm watching African Queen right now. I paused it to replay this scene: Bogey interrupts his conversation with Hepburn to run forward, where he kicks viciously at the boiler and engine. That done, he returns aft.
                            Hepburn: What was the matter, Mr. Allnut?

Bogey: Feed pump's full of scum and rust. It gets clogged up. Kickin' her gets it workin' again. I gotta act fast, because one of my boys dropped a screwdriver down the safety valve.

Hepburn: What would happen if you didn't kick her?

Bogey (laughing): Whole boiler'd blow up.

Hepburn: But if we're going downstream Mr. Allnut why do we need the engine at all?

Bogey: Boat's gotta go faster than the water or you can't steer. If I was to let the engine die going down the rapids we'd be goners.

Hepburn: Mr. Allnut?

Bogey: Yes miss?

Hepburn: Why don't you dismantle the safety valve and remove the screwdriver?

Bogey: You know I'm gonna do that one of these days. The only reason I haven't done it up to now is I kinda like kickin' it. She's all I've got.
                            Last edited by aostling; 10-18-2007, 10:38 PM.
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

more lathes than you can shake a stick at

I'm watching Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent film Strike http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015361/ , a landmark of Russian cinema. It's filmed inside the biggest machine shop (a locomotive works) you will have ever seen. Hundreds, perhaps a thousand lathes, all belt driven from overhead shafts. A worker is falsely accused of stealing a large micrometer, worth 25 roubles (three weeks pay).

This is the ultimate machine tool movie.
                              Last edited by aostling; 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM.
                              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

There was a UK TV series back in the 1970's "When the Boat Comes In" (set in Norman's neck of the woods). I remember one programme featured a workshop and in particular a horizontal mill and a very unlikely story of cutters that were "exploding" and injuring workers. Hence shots of a fairly harmless-looking cutter rotating on horizontal arbor....

Comment

Working...
                                X