"The Machinist"
      Rent this one. Good movie.
      Tom M.

Comment

Originally posted by mayfieldtm
        "The Machinist"
        Rent this one. Good movie.
        Tom M.
        I totally agree! Christian Bale is one of the great actors of our time.

I saw "Chain Reaction" mentioned earlier.

How about "North Country"? Not really machinists though.

I'd not include Doc Brown from Back to the Future, his lab is totally bereft of machinery, at least in part 1. I don't know how he'd get anything done.

I would include Batman. In the newest installment he's crafting baterangs on a wheel grinder. I know, it's ridiculous. Again, how's that work? Billionaire with a Harbor Freight grinder, go figure. That Batcave has frankly, always disappointed me.

Nobody mentioned Phinneus Fog from "Around the world in 80 days". He had absolutely no machinery.

Tim Robbins' character from "The Hudsucker Proxy" invented the Hula Hoop. Later they showed it being extruded.

The movie to watch on this count is gonna be "Iron Man". The preview shows some sweet blacksmithing to build the prototype suit. Plus, Black Sabbath is on the soundtrack. We all know about Tony Iommi don't we?

"The Venture Brothers" is another good example. It's on Cartoon Network. Probably not what you'd think.

Lastly, Titanic. There's some great engine part shots in that film. Terminator 1 as well. I think James Cameron really digs machinery.

I wholeheartedly agree that the machines that get the work done should be featured in movies. Not only is it interesting to look at, but it might inspire the viewers to find out what that thing is.
        Last edited by dang; 12-01-2007, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Ooops, One more!

Pee Wee Herman's Rube Goldberg machine in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
          It's the machine that makes his breakfast for him. I guess in Rube's terms Pee Wee is a great machinist.

Comment

Originally posted by dang
            I would include Batman. In the newest installment he's crafting baterangs on a wheel grinder. I know, it's ridiculous. Again, how's that work? Billionaire with a Harbor Freight grinder, go figure. That Batcave has frankly, always disappointed me.
            -The latest Batman was supposed to be a prequel of sorts, IE, the "first" Batman story. That's why they showed things like the homemade batarangs, and using that prototype offroader as a Batmobile. They wanted to give it that "just starting out" feel- just like in Spider-Man, the first time he's seen in costume, it's basically a spray-painted sweatshirt and a red ski mask.

But yeah, I agree- with all the goodies Bats is supposed to wear, drive and fling around, and the fact he'd have to personally make most of it in order to protect his secret identity, you'd expect he'd have a roomful of everything from injection-molders to VMCs.

'Course, you still gotta wonder if anybody did an airworthiness certification on the Batplane, and if the Batboat has a Coast Guard hull number...

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Don't you know that Alfred makes most of Bruce's stuff? Between the washing and ironing, but before vacuming the mansion and bat cave. Then he cooks dinner... I did kinda like that they introduced that disenfranchised skunk-works engineer and the military prototype storage facility. At least that helped with some of the obvious issues...
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
                -The latest Batman was supposed to be a prequel of sorts, IE, the "first" Batman story. That's why they showed things like the homemade batarangs, and using that prototype offroader as a Batmobile. They wanted to give it that "just starting out" feel- just like in Spider-Man, the first time he's seen in costume, it's basically a spray-painted sweatshirt and a red ski mask.

But yeah, I agree- with all the goodies Bats is supposed to wear, drive and fling around, and the fact he'd have to personally make most of it in order to protect his secret identity, you'd expect he'd have a roomful of everything from injection-molders to VMCs.

'Course, you still gotta wonder if anybody did an airworthiness certification on the Batplane, and if the Batboat has a Coast Guard hull number...

Doc.
                To quote Jack Nickelson as "The Joker". "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

heres a canadian one " The Rocket" Maurice "The Rocket" Richards life story
                  he was a machinist before becoming a professional hockey palyer

Comment

Bang... Bang

How could we forget about Dick Van Dyke as Caractacus Potts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNwSv6c7m0

Besides the car remember the rocket pack... he always had a upbeat outlook regardless if things ended as first planned or not. He'd just rework it into something else... a true HSM

I know how... I know now you'll have that song stuck in your head for weeks.
                    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

makeshift repairs at sea

Just finished watching Operation Petticoat (1959), starring Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. The submarine USS Sea Tiger gets painted with a scrounged 50-50 mix of red lead and white lead. It's pink on the outside, but all machinery below. Five nurses evacuated from a Pacific island totally disrupt the ship's routine, but the oldest nurse (age 38) was the daughter of chief at a Puget Power & Light plant, and shows the engine room chief how to fashion a needed valve spring (on some pneumatic contraption) from her girdle. Would you have thought of that?
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Porco Rosso

Seaplane dogfights over the Adriatic, a pilot who has been turned into a pig, aircraft faithful to what was flying in the early 1920s, a crowded machine shop that would put John Stevenson's to shame (with crossed overhead drive belts), allusions to aeronautical engineering, hot flappers, what's not to like?

This trailer is in Japanese, but you can get the full English movie on YouTube (or on DVD at the Phoenix library).
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQXYEYqo-0
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

heck, it's time to update this old thread.

Does Iron man count? I suppose he's more of a fabricator type. Although, he did mention "...Bridgeport was making that" referring to a part that was being CNC'ed.

The basement workshop shots in all the Iron Man movies were pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                            I'm watching Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent film Strike http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015361/ , a landmark of Russian cinema. It's filmed inside the biggest machine shop (a locomotive works) you will have ever seen. Hundreds, perhaps a thousand lathes, all belt driven from overhead shafts. A worker is falsely accused of stealing a large micrometer, worth 25 roubles.
                            This is the ultimate machine tool movie.
                            Available on Netflix streaming

Comment

"Blade" with Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson. Their 'batcave' was basically a huge machine shop, where Kristofferson's character made all the cool toys.

Just fumigate it to get rid of the vampires, and I'd move right in...

Comment

IIRC. There was an episode of Bonanza where the were casting parts in the foundry. Been looking for that episode

Comment

Working...
                                X