X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

law abiding citizen

Comment

The Train 1964 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/

Burt Lancaster makes a babbit bearing for a connecting rod.

Great Film aswell.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Asquith View Post
        Not home shop machining, but there was a good (but bleak) 1960 film called 'The Angry Silence' starring a Richard Attenborough. About striking, blacklegging and being 'sent to Coventry' in an engineering works. A fair bit of machining going on, and young Dicky seemed to know what levers to operate on a vertical boring mill. I believe the machine shop shots were filmed in the works of Reavell Ltd., Ipswich.
        .Yes you are correct Asquith, It was Reavell's works at Ipswich The film was from the late 1950/s I somehow recall? About that time the trendy film guys discovered people worked in factories! & another good one was Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, I cannot recall if this was the one though where our man was operating a small capstan lathe making parts for bicycles, Another film one of the stars starts up a big Corliss engine , That was nice
        For a real fun film The Maggie, about the old West highland puffer (cargo vessel )took a bit of beating The engine room scene one got a quick glimpse of a McKie & Baxter in line compound main propelling engine
        Last edited by oil mac; 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM. Reason: more data

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
          It's quiz time.

I can think of three Hollywood movies in which a mechanical modeler/inventor/machinist was the hero. One is The World's Fastest Indian, mentioned not so long ago here. What are two more?
          Usually machining applications in videos, TV motorcycle shows, movies, etc have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like my wife, who couldn't care less about that aspect of the show.

Most all of us who have watched the motorcycle drama shows on TV want more detail. The producers know better though. It just happens the daughter of my wife's best friend since childhood was instrumental in producing the Jesse James shows, she says it wouldn't fly with too much detail because it'd bore the majority of viewers.

As far as "The World's Fastest Indian" I recall questioning the accuracy of some of what was shown about his machining. I don't remember exactly what, but it didn't seem reasonable what was shown.
          Last edited by DR; 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRX View Post
            "Blade" with Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson. Their 'batcave' was basically a huge machine shop, where Kristofferson's character made all the cool toys.
            -Not really... All the machines in the building were just stamping presses. And out of all their "lab" equipment, the only thing that wasn't a medical device or "random box with blinking lights" was a bench grinder. Which, you'll note, they had set up to spin backwards so the sparks would be theatrically thrown upwards in a cool-looking but horribly unsafe manner.

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
              As far as "The World's Fastest Indian" I recall questioning the accuracy of some of what was shown about his machining. I don't remember exactly what, but it didn't seem reasonable what was shown.
              Boiling up old pistons with a kerosene blow lamp to make new pistons? I do know he did not have much of a 'shop compared so some we see described on this forum.

Comment

In Murphy's War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067458/) Peter O'Tool did some lathe work.

In Mr. Winkle Goes to War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037095/) Edward G Robinson had a backyard shop.

Both well worth watching.
                Last edited by w4bar; 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X