Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w4bar
    replied
    In Murphy's War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067458/) Peter O'Tool did some lathe work.

In Mr. Winkle Goes to War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037095/) Edward G Robinson had a backyard shop.

Both well worth watching.
    Last edited by w4bar; 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by DR View Post
    As far as "The World's Fastest Indian" I recall questioning the accuracy of some of what was shown about his machining. I don't remember exactly what, but it didn't seem reasonable what was shown.
    Boiling up old pistons with a kerosene blow lamp to make new pistons? I do know he did not have much of a 'shop compared so some we see described on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Originally posted by TRX View Post
    "Blade" with Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson. Their 'batcave' was basically a huge machine shop, where Kristofferson's character made all the cool toys.
    -Not really... All the machines in the building were just stamping presses. And out of all their "lab" equipment, the only thing that wasn't a medical device or "random box with blinking lights" was a bench grinder. Which, you'll note, they had set up to spin backwards so the sparks would be theatrically thrown upwards in a cool-looking but horribly unsafe manner.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    Originally posted by aostling View Post
    It's quiz time.

I can think of three Hollywood movies in which a mechanical modeler/inventor/machinist was the hero. One is The World's Fastest Indian, mentioned not so long ago here. What are two more?
    Usually machining applications in videos, TV motorcycle shows, movies, etc have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like my wife, who couldn't care less about that aspect of the show.

Most all of us who have watched the motorcycle drama shows on TV want more detail. The producers know better though. It just happens the daughter of my wife's best friend since childhood was instrumental in producing the Jesse James shows, she says it wouldn't fly with too much detail because it'd bore the majority of viewers.

As far as "The World's Fastest Indian" I recall questioning the accuracy of some of what was shown about his machining. I don't remember exactly what, but it didn't seem reasonable what was shown.
    Last edited by DR; 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oil mac
    replied
    Originally posted by Asquith View Post
    Not home shop machining, but there was a good (but bleak) 1960 film called 'The Angry Silence' starring a Richard Attenborough. About striking, blacklegging and being 'sent to Coventry' in an engineering works. A fair bit of machining going on, and young Dicky seemed to know what levers to operate on a vertical boring mill. I believe the machine shop shots were filmed in the works of Reavell Ltd., Ipswich.
    .Yes you are correct Asquith, It was Reavell's works at Ipswich The film was from the late 1950/s I somehow recall? About that time the trendy film guys discovered people worked in factories! & another good one was Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, I cannot recall if this was the one though where our man was operating a small capstan lathe making parts for bicycles, Another film one of the stars starts up a big Corliss engine , That was nice
    For a real fun film The Maggie, about the old West highland puffer (cargo vessel )took a bit of beating The engine room scene one got a quick glimpse of a McKie & Baxter in line compound main propelling engine
    Last edited by oil mac; 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM. Reason: more data

Leave a comment:

• MrSleepy
    replied
    The Train 1964 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/

Burt Lancaster makes a babbit bearing for a connecting rod.

Great Film aswell.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• bob_s
    replied
    law abiding citizen

Leave a comment:

• Beone
    replied
    IIRC. There was an episode of Bonanza where the were casting parts in the foundry. Been looking for that episode

Leave a comment:

• TRX
    replied
    "Blade" with Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson. Their 'batcave' was basically a huge machine shop, where Kristofferson's character made all the cool toys.

Just fumigate it to get rid of the vampires, and I'd move right in...

Leave a comment:

• 914Wilhelm
    replied
    Originally posted by aostling View Post
    I'm watching Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent film Strike http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015361/ , a landmark of Russian cinema. It's filmed inside the biggest machine shop (a locomotive works) you will have ever seen. Hundreds, perhaps a thousand lathes, all belt driven from overhead shafts. A worker is falsely accused of stealing a large micrometer, worth 25 roubles.
    This is the ultimate machine tool movie.
    Available on Netflix streaming

Leave a comment:

• wagnerite
    replied
    heck, it's time to update this old thread.

Does Iron man count? I suppose he's more of a fabricator type. Although, he did mention "...Bridgeport was making that" referring to a part that was being CNC'ed.

The basement workshop shots in all the Iron Man movies were pretty neat.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Porco Rosso

Seaplane dogfights over the Adriatic, a pilot who has been turned into a pig, aircraft faithful to what was flying in the early 1920s, a crowded machine shop that would put John Stevenson's to shame (with crossed overhead drive belts), allusions to aeronautical engineering, hot flappers, what's not to like?

This trailer is in Japanese, but you can get the full English movie on YouTube (or on DVD at the Phoenix library).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQXYEYqo-0

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    makeshift repairs at sea

Just finished watching Operation Petticoat (1959), starring Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. The submarine USS Sea Tiger gets painted with a scrounged 50-50 mix of red lead and white lead. It's pink on the outside, but all machinery below. Five nurses evacuated from a Pacific island totally disrupt the ship's routine, but the oldest nurse (age 38) was the daughter of chief at a Puget Power & Light plant, and shows the engine room chief how to fashion a needed valve spring (on some pneumatic contraption) from her girdle. Would you have thought of that?

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerer
    replied
    Bang... Bang

How could we forget about Dick Van Dyke as Caractacus Potts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNwSv6c7m0

Besides the car remember the rocket pack... he always had a upbeat outlook regardless if things ended as first planned or not. He'd just rework it into something else... a true HSM

I know how... I know now you'll have that song stuck in your head for weeks.

Leave a comment:

• MR.0001"
    replied
    heres a canadian one " The Rocket" Maurice "The Rocket" Richards life story
    he was a machinist before becoming a professional hockey palyer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X