Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home shop machinists in the movies

It's quiz time.

I can think of three Hollywood movies in which a mechanical modeler/inventor/machinist was the hero. One is The World's Fastest Indian, mentioned not so long ago here. What are two more?
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Flight of the Phoenix

Comment

Would "Flubber" count?? Or Back to the Future? Maybe not, Doc Brown was more of a co hero in those flicks.
      Steve
      NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Dragons_fire
        Flight of the Phoenix
        Yes, that's one. Can you think of the other?
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredFAE
          Would "Flubber" count?? Or Back to the Future? Maybe not, Doc Brown was more of a co hero in those flicks.
          Well, I wasn't thinking of Doc Brown, but I guess you could make a case for him. He is more of a mad scientist, but we do have one or two here.
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Dragons_fire
            Flight of the Phoenix
            Flight of the Phoenix?? Who was the machinist? Are you talking about the model airplane guy? That's a pretty big stretch

I think Burt Munro (from "The World's Fastest Indian") might be a stretch too -- he was a fantastic motorcycle mechanic, but as shown in the movie, he lived in, and did all his work on his motorcycle in a little shed, and I didn't see any machinery in there
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I was curious about what mods Burt Munro made to his Indian, and found this tribute on a New Zealand web page. I'm not sure what to make of the "hand carved connecting rods" -- is that literal?

http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/feat...unro/munro.htm

"Burt began modifying his bike in 1926. His methods, to say the least, were unorthodox. He used an old spoke for a micrometer and cast parts in old tins although one American report has him casting pistons in holes in the sand at the local beach! He built his own four-cam design to replace the standard two-cam system and converted to overhead valves.

He made his own barrels, flywheels, pistons, cams and followers and lubrication system. In their final form he in effect hand-carved his con-rods from a Caterpillar tractor axle, and hardened and tempered them to 143 tons tensile strength. He built a seventeen plate, thousand pound pressure clutch and used a triple chain drive. He experimented with streamlining and, in its final form, the bike was completely enclosed in a streamlined shell.The leaf-sprung fork was dispensed with and what appears to be a girder fork from a 1925 - 1928 Prince substituted."
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Heros? Well, there was the fat guy who got his hand blown off by Bruce Willis in day of the jackal. Then there was the machinist movie of course. You have to define Hero<g>

Comment

Originally posted by Kenb
                  Then there was the machinist movie of course. You have to define Hero<g>
                  I didn't know about The Machinist. It has a good rating on IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/ .

So, we have Flight of the Phoenix. A clue to the third movie I was thinking of: it involves another Phoenix.
                  Last edited by aostling; 08-12-2007, 11:44 PM.
                  Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                    So, we have Flight of the Phoenix. A clue to the third movie I was thinking of: it involves another Phoenix.
                    Oh, you're thinking of that Harry Potter movie with something about a phoenix where the bullies and idiots in management are trying to grind our little hero down. Hmm.
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Kenb
                      Heros? Well, there was the fat guy who got his hand blown off by Bruce Willis in day of the jackal.
                      Oh, that's right -- that was Jack Black (from "School of Rock")! Now he was really a machinist. A one-armed machinist, but hey...

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                        Oh, you're thinking of that Harry Potter movie with something about a phoenix where the bullies and idiots in management are trying to grind our little hero down. Hmm.
                        Well, if we're going to count model airplane designers as machinists, how about Doctor Octavius from Spider Man -- he designed his robotic appendages

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                          This has gone on long enough. I was thinking of Mosquito Coast, in which Harrison Ford is the inventor/tinkerer who moves his family to the wilderness. His son is played by River Phoenix.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Two thumbs down

Lets face it, its not a great plot for a lead in a Hollywood movie, the grease encrusted hands on some hot little blond just dont do it for most people not to mention the luv seens when she gets "pricked" by a chunk of 304 that was laying around in the guys bed... A guy who really knows his way around machinery speaks of an older gentleman and while Dirty old men may indeed need luv too, lets try not to even conjure up the "image" let alone recreate it in a movie, its one of those things that you know happens on occation but really shouldnt ever be talked about, kinda like thinking about your parents having sex in thier 70's... its just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                              Lets face it, its not a great plot for a lead in a Hollywood movie, the grease encrusted hands on some hot little blond just dont do it for most people not to mention the luv seens when she gets "pricked" by a chunk of 304 that was laying around in the guys bed... A guy who really knows his way around machinery speaks of an older gentleman and while Dirty old men may indeed need luv too, lets try not to even conjure up the "image" let alone recreate it in a movie, its one of those things that you know happens on occation but really shouldnt ever be talked about, kinda like thinking about your parents having sex in thier 70's... its just wrong.
                              It would be nice at 60...............................................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X