Shop Wisdom of Jesse Livingston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Wisdom of Jesse Livingston

In the last few issues of HSM among the hardback books sold by VP I've seen the above book listed. I've gotten HSM and PIM/MW for about 10 or 11 years, and have most of the "Projects" and "Metal Working" books, but I don't recall ever seeing an article by Jesse Livingston. Is he strictly a "Live Steam" contributor? (which I don't subscribe to)
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Most probably,he is on the steam board mainly the flanged wheel variety. He also was heavy into the paper covered tips books they put out awhile back.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Lynnl:

Yes, Jesse's articles ran in Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading magazine. His book contains three model stationary steam engine projects, two locomotive projects (7-1/2" ga), six articles on boiler accessories and improvements and several other ancillary articles.

Hope that helps.

Neil

Comment

It's a very interesting book---I've got a copy.

Comment

What piqued my interest was the 'casting' and 'foundry' info mentioned in the ad.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The book contains a 14-page article titled "An Introduction to Metal Casting and Foundry Work." The article describes mold and pattern-making, building a small charcoal-fired furnace capable of melting aluminum and brass but not cast iron, and general casting techniques. It's a good primer for the hobby foundry.

Comment

14 pages with a small charcoal foundry ---- hmmm, sounds good.

I started off on this crazy/wonderful? hobby using Dave Gingerys series on his charcoal foundry back in the '80's, and they were becoming dated then, with a lot of the stuff he used not being availiable, and now it would be even tougher to use his methods ---though I still think of Dave as one of the better writers to lead a novice along (least he did for me). I have to wonder why his son Vince hasnt reintroduced, at least the carcoal furnace part, using current materials. Even so, the Gingery lathe, shaper, etc still has a huge following in the yahoo groups.....

I still have to rank the shaper as probably my my most funnest projects........
              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Make sure you bring some to GEARS Neil; I'll be there, and it's a good bet I'll buy a copy.

Jeff E.

Comment

We'll certainly be bringing along Jesse's new book... I'll hold one aside for you.

The GEARS show has/had (will have, I hope) a fellow do foundry work out along side the building. Every time I went out to watch a pour, there were onlookers several deep and most were taller than I am. I'll need a step ladder or have to learn how to take photos holding my camera overhead. Then too, I could just get there earlier.

Looking forward to seeing you at the show!

Neil

Comment

Working...
                  X