• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do these work???????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STARRETT-PLANE...QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these and would like to know how it works.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Let me get this straight. You have one of these tools but have no idea on how to use it? Hmmmm! Alistair, we must be related because that sounds exactly like something I would do.

Comment

Doesnt everyone buy the tool first, then invent a use for it? JIM
      jim

Comment

Set the desired workpiece thickness with a height gage and surface plate. Set the gage to same height by sliding the angled surfaces.
        Place the gage on the shaper table until the tool touches the gage.

Comment

Originally posted by pgmrdan
          Let me get this straight. You have one of these tools but have no idea on how to use it? Hmmmm! Alistair, we must be related because that sounds exactly like something I would do.
          That would apply to most of my tools, even the ones I DO use. I may use them, but I constantly find that I do not really know HOW to use them, at least not correctly... <sigh>

As for use, I have a matched pair of Starretts. As suggested, set them on the surface plate and set height with appropriate tool on hand. Height gage, gage blocks (direct or indirect), surface gage, depth mic, caliper, whatever. Then transfer to work surface. I've used them on the mill and on the lathe for setting tool heights when other mechanisms were not convenient. You can also set them in a sufficiently large gap and use them to measure similar to adjustable parallels without as much risk of cosine error (assuming flat/parallel surfaces). Once set, measure the result on surface plate.
          Last edited by BadDog; 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM.
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Hi yes sounds stupid but I got it as a present from an old pal who posted it too me .I am too embarrassed to tell him I don't know how to use it.Alistair

Comment

How would you use it specifically for planer blades?As I am afraid to remove mine in case I cant get them back to gether at the correct heigh In other words what height would you know was sufficient for setting. or do you measure the height before removing the old blades????Alistair

Comment

Alistair,

Don't feel bad, I've got 2 of them, got them in tool sets bought at auctions, been using them to hold plans and paperwork on the work bench, so the wind won't blow them all over.

Jack
                Last edited by platypus2020; 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM.
                jack

Comment

Alistair, The planer that this guage was designed for is a metal planer. The planer is sort of like a metal shaper but the workpiece moves under the tool instead. JIM
                  jim

Comment

Yes, in this context, it's old style metal planer. Kinda like a shaper, but the bed moves to provide the longitudinal travel instead of the cutter head on a ram.
                    Russ
                    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I think they were really designed for use with a bed type metal planer, Allistair. With that in mind, their primary use is largely long gone. However as some others have posted, you can come up with lots of auxillary uses for it. I use mine for setting all my lathe tool heights on center. Mine is a Lufkin and came with a little cap that holds a smallish horizontal blade. You get one tool on center, set it so the blade just touches the top of the cutter and lock it. You then use it to set the balance of the lathe tools in the QC holders to match.

I also used it recently to insure that the mounting bracket for my lathe DRO scale was the same distance from the bottom of the bed ways....much easier than measuring. Think of it as a variable size gage block with a level built in :-) Sort of an oversize adjustable parallel as already mentioned.

I hope to get to use it with my shaper some day for setting tool height....if I ever get around to the work it needs.

Good luck!
                      Paul
                      Paul Carpenter
                      Mapleton, IL

Comment

Am I correct in assuming you could use it to align the work piece with the cutter on a shaper?.For instance,if you needed to cut a shoulder on a straight piece?
                        I don't have a shaper(),I'm just a nosy beggar
                        Hans

Comment

Re _ Planer guage, I think that i must be one of the last persons still using one of these tools in this neck of the woods Alistair, and for good measure still using it for transfering sizes, from the vernier height guage, to the tool on my Tom Senior hand planer, and also on the shaping & milling machine, What i do, is to set the planer guage, on surface table to the height required to top of workpiece, from machine table. Next stage, bring the tool down, and nip a shim between the tool and the guage, _ say .010" thick. then take roughing cut, Then a smaller shim, say .oo2 thick _ another cut, then final cut, after gently setting tool to surface of guage, using cigarette paper, the final scrape, finish like glass, On using these old hand planers, it is hard work,no wonder the old boys were worn out early on in life.

Comment

Yeah, it's for a metal working planer, not a woodworking planer.

Comment

well in any case I have a shaper could use it on that instead.Alistair

Comment

Working...
                              X